PEmicro logo
Cart New Account Login

Logo image
HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Programming stm8al3136 by Cyclone LC
igor m. Jun 22, 2021 at 09:15 AM (09:15 hours)
Staff: Steve M.

• Hello!

I try to use cyclone for programming stm8al3136. The cyclone can erase the module but can't program one. It is the main problem.

Main points:
    I connected flex to stm8 and chacked connection by the logic analyzer. There was SWIM and RESET signals if I push the start button. Between VCC and SWIM, I used a pull-up resistor 715Om.
    I checked the power on MCU. Power was 3.3v

For working I used the next configuration:
    ; Automatically generated configuration file
    ; Silicon Manufacturer is STMicroelectronics
    ; Silicon Architecture is STM8AL
    ;
    :ALLOWOUTOFRANGE 1
    :RESETDELAY 300
    :ARCHTYPE 166
    :COMMSMODE 0
    :SAPGUIVERSION 382E3336
    :PROVIDEPOWER
    :POWERVOLTAGE 3.3
    :POWERDOWNDELAY 500
    :POWERUPDELAY 200
    :KEEPPOWERON 0
    :NEWIMAGE
    :DESCRIBEIMAGE 21.06.2021 14:33:45
    CM C:\PEMicro\cyclone\supportfiles\supportFiles_STM8\STM8AL3136_FLASH.m8p
    SS C:\Cell_monitor_stm8al.hex
    EM ;Erase Module
    PM ;Program Module

What can I do for solve this problem?

Comments

• Hello,

What version of Cyclone Image Creation Utility are you using? What is the current firmware of your Cyclone? What is the time stamp on the STM8AL algorithm?

We have made some significant changes in recent months to STM8 support and I would suggest downloading the latest Cyclone installer if you have not done so already. Navigate to the "Support" tab and then go to "Documentation & Downloads". From there under "Popular Download" there should be a link to download "Cyclone LC and Cyclone FX Programmer Installation Software".

Steve

• The version of Cyclone Image Creation Utility is 8.36.00.00.
        Current Cyclone firmware is 10.75.
        What do you mean by the time stamp on the STM8AL algorithm?

• Hello

If you view the source file itself (STM8AL3136_FLASH.m8p) in any text editor, you will see the date of creation at the top of the page.

Steve

• ;version 1.00, 10/10/2018, Copyright P&E Microcomputer Systems, www.pemicro.com [STM8AL3136_FLASH]

• Hello,

Okay this means that the files you have are still old. Please refer to my comment #1.1 on how to download the latest Cyclone files that will include the correct files for this device.

The update line should now read ";version 2.01, 06/11/2021, Copyright P&E Microcomputer Systems, www.pemicro.com [STM8xxx3_8kB]"

Steve

• I went to http://www.pemicro.com/support/downloads_find.cfm
      and downloaded "Cyclone LC and Cyclone FX Programmer Installation Software". But this installer was created in 2021-Mar-17 12:11 AM. After install, the resulting folder had STM8AL3136_FLASH.m8p file from 02/07/2020. It included
      ;version 1.00, 10/10/2018, Copyright P&E Microcomputer Systems, www.pemicro.com [STM8AL3136_FLASH]
      Please, upload the latest revision, or if I didn't find one attach the link here
      thank you for your help

• Hi Igor,

Vey sorry for the confusion. We have just made an official update to our Cyclone Installer that should contain the necessary files that you need now. Please follow the same steps as previous and double check to make sure the algorithm version and date has been updated.

Steve

• Hey Steve! Today I am again trying to load the firmware on stm8. I updated Cyclone LC and after install, the resulting folder had STM8AL3136_FLASH.m8p file from 21/06/2021. This is good, but I still have a problem downloading the firmware. The cyclone can erase the module but can't program one. 
    –°yclone hangs at the first address 0x8000. At this moment, a cyclical data exchange is taking place on the line.

Main points:
    I connected flex to stm8 and chacked connection by the logic analyzer. There was SWIM and RESET signals if I push the start button. Between VCC and SWIM, I used a pull-up resistor 715Om.
    I checked the power on MCU. Power was 3.3v

For working I used the next configuration:

; Automatically generated configuration file
    ; Silicon Manufacturer is STMicroelectronics
    ; Silicon Architecture is STM8AL
    ;
    :ALLOWOUTOFRANGE 1
    :RESETDELAY 300
    :ARCHTYPE 166
    :COMMSMODE 0
    :SAPGUIVERSION 382E3336
    :PROVIDEPOWER
    :POWERVOLTAGE 3.3
    :POWERDOWNDELAY 500
    :POWERUPDELAY 200
    :KEEPPOWERON 0
    :NEWIMAGE
    :DESCRIBEIMAGE 04.08.2021 16:30:45
    CM C:\PEMicro\cyclone\supportfiles\supportFiles_STM8\STM8AL3136_FLASH.m8p
    SS C:\Cell_monitor_stm8al.hex
    EM ;Erase Module
    PM ;Program Module

• Hello,

Very strange, I think we might need to take this request elsewhere in the form of a Support Request so we can get some more detailed information from you. We may ask for your hex file so we can examine it and test it with a device we have. Please go to the "Support" tab at the top of the page and look for "Support Requests" to fill one out with this request and we can handle the request accordingly.

Steve

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement