PEmicro logo
Cart New Account Login

Logo image
HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Oddities happening after using Cyclone LC-UNIV after using Cyclone Pro
Chris T. Apr 8, 2021 at 12:32 PM (12:32 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Ever since adding a Cyclone LC-UNIV to our arsenal of flash programmers for our HCS12XET256 our technicians have been reporting strange things happening. Needing to reprogram several times, code seemingly not running after cycling power, and strange behavior once running. 

The only way I can get the LC-UNIV to work is to
    1. Plug Cyclone LC-UNIV ribbon cable into the board
    2. Cycle Power to the board
    2. Program
    3. Cycle power again.

If power is not cycled to start with the results are fairly unpredictable, but usually the code doesn't run. I'm a little worried that my process is incorrect, but I especially don't understand the .SAP conversion step, I just figured out how to do it on my own.

We are using Image Creation Untility Version 3.26 to make images (we've been doing this for years with the same method):

CM C:\PEMicro\cyclone_pro\Algorithms\9S12XET256_1x16xmax16k_max32k_Linear_User_Dflash.12P
    FP2000
    CM C:\PEMicro\cyclone_pro\Algorithms\9S12XET256_1x16x128k_256k_Linear_Pflash.12P
    EM
    BM
    SS C:\Users\Me\Documents\CODE\ACE NOTBUS\bin\Project.abs.phy
    PM
    VM
    RE
    GO

To convert the .SAP file (which works with the Cyclone Pro) to the .SAP file (that the Cyclone LC-univ requires), we do the following:

1. Open windows terminal
    2. Navigate to image directory:

"cd C:\Users\meDesktop\Cyclone Pro HOME\CYCLONE PRO IMAGES\ACE"

3. Run sap_convert_console on the image in its current location. Image must be in quotes. Must include the application filepath because we are in the images folder:

C:\PEMicro\cyclone\imageCreation\sap_convert_console "ACE N047.SAP"

This new converted SAP image has the suffix _2 in the title (e.g. "ACE N047_2.SAP)

For adding images to Cyclone Pro, we use ManageImages.exe and the .SAP files (unconverted)
    For adding images to the Cyclone LC-UNIV, we use CycloneControlGUI.exe and the converted .SAP files

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Greetings,

If you use the new cyclone image creation utility for the cyclone LC do you see the same behavior?

Takao

• I don't know because due to how these are used at my company, I don't have access to the cyclones. 

Can you explain the difference between making a .SAP image for a Cyclone Pro, making a .SAP image for a Cyclone LC, and converting a .SAP image for the Cyclone LC from the Cyclone Pro .SAP?

Are they actually different formats? Would you expect I could run into corruption in converting from one to another?

• Greetings,

Great question. The chance of corruption is almost zero. I have not seen any SAP images not being able to load or execute. Note, once converted the new SAP image can be loaded on both the cyclone pro and cyclone LC universal!

The main difference between old (cyclone pro) and new SAP image (cyclone LC universal) is that the new image expands on the old. It does not change any settings or binaries. It only adds new features that the cyclone pro never had. So this is why corruption is quite low, but not impossible.

However, it does not mean the converted SAP image will work exactly like the old. This is new hardware afterall. It may be that the new cyclone hardware may have issues with your target board in general and converted SAP image is failing because of this.

This is why it would be wise to use the interactive PROG software (PROG12Z in your case) found within the new cyclone software package and try programming your device using the cyclone LC hardware. If it works, then in theory your converted SAP image should have worked. If it does not work, then we need to find out what needs to be done to fix it and PROG is the right place to debug it. Debugging a SAP image is pretty much impossible because it is encrypted and scripted.

Takao

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement