PEmicro logo
Cart New Account Login

Logo image
HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Cyclone can't connecting with ST Micro SPC582B60 microcontroller
Anatoly P. Mar 26, 2021 at 03:15 AM (03:15 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I have found the same topic on this forum 2 years ago which finished with nothing. Today I have met with same situation with my PCB with SPC582B60 micro. I tried use progppcnexus.exe utility and changed timing with no success.It can see the type of micro? but no connection with it in debug mode.

Then I take another PCB with SPC560B54 miro and connect same Cyclone cable to it. This micro is connecting normally.
    I fully erased this micro to have both micro ni same state and maked simple script for Cyclone from the rows:
    - define the micro
    - define the source code file
    - command verify module
    This script I used for both micro and had attached oscilloscope to Reset pin of debug connector.
    For micro SPC560B54 I watched pulse from initial low level to high level with duration 2 ms.
    For micro SPC582B60 I watched only initially high level (??) without any pulses at time!
    There are no any reset pulse for SPC582B60 micro at all from Cyclone!

I will be grateful for any help in this situation.
    Thanks in advance,
    Andtoly

Comments

• Greetings,

First, please make sure you are using the latest Cyclone software and repeat experiment:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=481

Without the reset pulse you will not be able to enter debug correctly, so that is a good place to check. Make sure you have VDD connected. Do you see any activity on TDI, TDO, TCK, and TMS? If not, that is also a concern. If they are toggling, then the next step is checking the schematic of the board and seeing if there is any reset circuitry. If so, what is there? Is there a system bus chip, or other component that might be driving or competing for control over the RESET line?

Takao

• Hi! Thanks for replay. 
    It was first what I have done: I updated the Cyclone software from this site.
    The second was I used another programing tool. It was UDE JTAG programmator with developing IDE. It perfectly performed the task on same PCB. After them Cyclone was able repeat the process successfully! I take another PCB with the clear chip. And I had the same problem with Cyclone? but after UDE programmer the Cyclone was able repeat the process successfully.
    This shows: the PCB is workable and the SPC582 is programmable over JTAG.
    But I can't use UDE in device production. I was hoped the Cyclone more better for it.
    I will repeat watching signals in JTAG pins with Cyclone a bit later an describe it here.

• Greetings,

Are you making any other hardware changes when switching between UDE and Cyclone? Different ribbon cables, external power, adapters, etc? The best comparison is if you just switch out the interface debugger from UDE to Cyclone and see if that makes a difference.

Are you connecting all 14-pins of JTAG, or are you hand picking your signals? If hand picking, which ones are you connecting and which are you not connecting?

What happens if you only erase using UDE debugger and do not program anything. Are you able to connect with the cyclone afterwards? Or is it only after programming that the cyclone connects fine?

Takao

• Hi, Takao!

I thinked same way to erase the chip after UDE flashing. But the UDE programmer is not accessible for me any time. I will try to do it.
    To exclude the cable connection problems I programmed with same Cyclone HW another PCB with SPC560B54 micro. It was successful. So I think there is some mistake in the script for SPC582B5 micro. I will compare the signals on JTAG connector for both PCBs and describe the result here.

Anatoly

• Hi, I was very surprised with my measurings.
    I have erased SPC560 micro to have both micros in same state and compare signals on JTAG pins for both PCB.
    I am watching permanent negative pulses on pin Reset (9) JTAG connector for SPC582 with timing 130/4.5 mks, even when I have disconnected JTAG cable from Cyclone! And I did not wath them on PCB with SPC560.
    When I connect JTAG cable these pulses are continued.
    Ihave same simple scripts for both micros in the Cyclone: define type of the micro and Blank Check Module.
    Signals on JTAG pins CLK, DI, DO are similar. But Reset pulse is single for SPC560 and repeatedly for SPC582.
    Possible SPC582 tryes to find source to load and I watch an mirror of this cycle on Reset pin?
    But UDE programmer normally met this feature of SPC582. But Cyclone doesn't work. It shows Error $00000007.
    Are there any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Anatoly

• In addition: my question now sounds as "why Cyclone can't work correctly with SPC582 micro when another tool does it?". Is it possible?

• Greetings,

The pulses on reset line you are seeing that is repeating is an indication of a system bus chip or external watchdog on the board. This needs to be disabled to be able to enter debug.

The UDE is probably handling this by feeding the watchdog and then disabling it. Is the project you are using for SPC582 custom to your company's PCB? Or is this a default project you can create? If your project is custom to your company, try creating a brand new project for SPC582 and repeat your experiment. I wonder if the reset does not get handled. Usually for UDE programming settings you will find checkboxes of what it is trying to do for you when entering debug. See if there is any indication of custom commands being ran.

Our tools could do a custom command if we find out the source of the reset signals and find out what needs to be done to disable it.

Takao

• Thanks, Takao
    Yes I have PCB for custom project. But the project does not implement any special watchdog which involve the reset micro. This behaviour is unusual for us too. Sorry, we did not have original sample board with this micro. I analysed options in UDE configuration and did not see any items concerned the reset signal. I did it quickly and will review UDE options once again more carefully.

Anatoly

• Many thanks, Takao for your support.
    I have cleared: the problem source in our PCB design.
    This topic is closed.
    Anatoly

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement