Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Programming via openSDA
Jeroen v. Jan 14, 2021 at 12:01 PM (12:01 hours)
Staff: Zahar R.

• I am using an NXP MPC5744P devkit, together with the S32DS eclipse IDE. This works fine, programming and debugging.

I now want to program the MPC5744P via openSDA without using the S32DS IDE. The MSD Flash programmer does not show up as a mass-storage device on my PC, as described in the OpenSDA users guide.

In the device manager there is the OpenSDA - CDC serial port and the Jungo PEMicro OpenSDA Debug Driver.

How can I program the MPC5744P without using the S32DS IDE?

Comments

• Hi Jeroen, 

Thank you for reaching out!

Unfortunately, the PowerPC Nexus OpenSDA firmware does not include support for drag and drop MSD FLASH Programmer. It can only be used to program the FLASH of the device as in-circuit debug interface.

Outside of S32DS studio we have a standalone FLASH programming software called PROGPPCNEXUS that can be purchased for $199:

http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320089&productTab=1

This software package comes with an interactive FLASH programmer, as well as commandline version that would allow you to automate FLASH programming via a command line batch script.

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    PEmicro.

• Hi Zahar,
    Thanks for the quick response. About the PROGPPCNEXUS product, does this allow for programming via OpenSDA? We have only access to the OpenSDA USB port on the product.
    Best regards,
    Jeroen

• Hi Jeroen, 

Our PROGPPCNEXUS product allows programming via OpenSDA/Multilink/Cyclone Universal/FX debug interfaces.

Are you trying to integrate PPCNEXUS OpenSDA design into your hardware device? If you are, please contact me offline at zahar dot raskin at pemicro dot com to discuss additional details.

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    PEmicro.

• Hi Zahar,
    Very good, in that case we will purchase PROGPPCNEXUS and use it with OpenSDA.

For now we use the devkit for a prototype, when we integrate it in the final product, we will contact you in person for more details

Thanks so far.

BR Jeroen

• Hi Jeroen, 

Thank you for following up.

My recommendation to iron out the application and IP considerations of PPC OpenSDA before including it into your design.

Our general recommendation for standalone embedded boards to actually rely on external JTAG header and one of PEmicro Multilink interfaces for debugging:

www.pemicro.com/multilink

In general, PPC OpenSDA firmware for PowerPC OpenSDA is proprietary IP of PEmicro, designed for evaluation purposes, and there different considerations that need to be taken into account before it is shared for use on 3rd party embedded boards.

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    PEmicro.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement