Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
BDM Nexus2+ memory access does not work
. Sep 11, 2020 at 03:40 PM (15:40 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Dear all,

I try to use NXP freemaster tool with BDM access with MPC5748G without success.
    Please see this thread in NXP forum:
    https://community.nxp.com/t5/FreeMASTER/BDM-Nexus2-memory-access-does-not-work/m-p/1095576

Any suggestions how to solve the issue are welcome...

Regards
    Jörg

Comments

• Greetings,

Interesting. I would try using our ICDPPCNEXUS debugger software and load up a simple main loop project with a variable that will change as you resume debug. The following has a 64kB Trial software you can install:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320116

Once you install and open ICDPPCNEXUS, connect to your target and activate your trial license by clicking on the blue link that shows up.

Once you load your project, in the variable window you should add your variable and set it to real-time. Then resume the session ad see the value change in real time. This is definitely a sign that your hardware setup is working for Nexus2+ real-time memory reads. If we can confirm this, then the question is why is Freemaster having issues and we can look into this further once you try this first experiment I detailed.

Takao

• Hello Takao,

I followed your suggestion to try it with ICDPPCNEXUS debugger. With this it works fine. I have tested the real-time view for about 15 minutes without problems. After this test I have tested again with Freemaster. But nothing has changed, doesn't work. So from my point of view there must be something wrong with my Freemaster installation...

Regards
      Jörg

• Greetings,

I am glad you were able to test out ICDPPCNEXUS and confirm your hardware setup is good. The problem may be with how Freemaster is using our DLL in the backend.

Check your Freemaster software install directory and look for UNITPPCNEXUS.DLL. Right click on it -> Properties -> details and find out the version. If it is higher than 7.xx then it is pretty recent DLL and it should have the ability to work with your multilink and software setup. If that is the case, then it could be that they are not calling the right commands/calls to our DLL to be able to handle NEXUS2+ memory reads.

Takao

• Hella Takao,

I could not find unitppcnexus.dll but I have found unit_ppcnexus.dll with version 7.8.1.0.0.

But as you can see in NXP thread they have confirmed that it's working on their side. So in general it should work or what do I miss...

Regards
      Jörg

• Greetings,

That is quite strange. Have the NXP guys check their DLL version and see what the differences are. This is really the only file that handles all the work so this is the key item to focus on.

Takao

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2020 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement