Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

Please accept the use of cookies on our site

At PEmicro we use web browser cookies in order to provide you with an enhanced experience and in order to be able to do things like shopping cart processing and identify you when you login to our website.

Click here to accept

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
PEmicro Cyclone Pro configuration
Mark S. Feb 21, 2018 at 05:49 AM (05:49 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• We are currently successfully using the PE micro Cyclone Pro to program a MC68HC812A4 via the 6 way IDC connector. We now need use the Cyclone Pro to program a MC68HC912B32 my effort so far has resulted in the programming status being stuck in the programming mode the AMD_29F040B_2x8x512k_A4_csp0.12p algorithm has been used. Also How does the programmer provide the Vfp voltage via the 6 way IDC connector?

Thank you & regards.

Mark Smith

Comments

• Greetings,

You want to program the 912B32 but you are using an AMD algorithm? Are you trying to program internal flash, or external flash?

To provide power via the ribbon cable, you must set the jumper settings on the cyclone and also set it on within software. Please read the cyclone user manual for jumper settings, and within software look for "provide power to target".

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

Thank you for your reply.
      The BDM cable is providing 5V from pin 6. I will need to provide 12V or no less than 0.35V of VDD to pin 5 (Vfp)on the target board I assume that the cyclone cannot do this at the same time?

Kind regards.

Mark Smith

• Greetings,

None of our hardware can provide more than 5V using the ribbon cable. However with the cyclone, you could use its relays and you can plug your 12V connection into the relay IN and the relay OUT will send 12V to your board's power. This way the cyclone can control when to power up your board or not. You never want to put 12V unregulated directly on pin 5.

Is your chip not on a board? or is it in a socket with no board?

Takao Yamada

• The chip is soldered to the board but I can feed regulated 12V(from a bench power supply)to pin 5 at the same time the cyclone is supplying 5V to pin 6. I could not find a Freescale 912BE32 algorithm in the listing is there an alternative I could use?

Thank you & regards.

Mark Smith

• Greetings,

There are four algorithms associated to your device. Do you not see these algorithms?

Freescale_912B32_1x16x16k_32k_Flash.12P
    Freescale_912B32_1x16x30_32k_Spare_Rows.12P
    Freescale_912B32_1x16x384_768_EEPROM.12P
    Freescale_912B32_All_768_EEPROM_32k_Flash.12P

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

I found the algorithms in the Physical S-Record Converter program and selected 912BE32_1x16x384_768_EEPROM.12P for the MC68HC912B32 is this correct? In the next stage I cannot see a suitable Device Type, noted that there is a custom option but do not know where to find the following information:

FirstPage:

LastPage:

Address to Page Translations:

can help be given with this please.

Thank you & regards.

Mark Smith

• Greetings,

No, that is not how you use that utility. The LOG2PHY utility is used to convert your binary S19 file and convert it into PHY file. Do not make any changes to the algorithm, it is supposed to work with no modifications. You might not need to do a conversion so please check your file type you intend to program.

Takao Yamada

• Sorry I meant to say that I found the algorithms in the Cyclone Image creation utility.

This is the script I am working to:

1.   Create program file:

a) Open P&E log2Phy12 program and navigate to the appropriate .hex file. Set the options as follows:
      Device Type CUSTOM
      FirstPage: 00
      LastPage: FF
      Address to Page Translations
      0000-3FFF: NA
      4000-7FFF: NA
      8000-BFFF: NA
      C000-FFFF: 3F
      Press Convert to S-records

b)   Rename the .s19.extra to .s19.

c)   Copy the contents of the .phy file and paste at the end of the .s19 file.

2.   Load file into Pemicro Cyclone Pro

a)   Open the Cyclone Image creation utility and set the target architecture to HC9(S)12(X), CM; algorithm .12p and SS; to .s19.

b)   In image description field enter description. Then the press Store to Disk option.

c)   Open the Cyclone Image Management utility version 3.04 and communicate with the Cyclone.

d)   Select Add and navigate to the .SAP file previously created. Select Yes at the pop-up window. To load into the Cyclone Pro select Commit Changes.

3.   Programming Target

a) Press the Menu/select button on the Cyclone Pro twice. Use the arrow keys to navigate to .SAP file then press the menu/select button. Press start to program the Target.

Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.

Regards.

Mark Smith

• Greetings,

Yes, that is all correct. Let me know how that goes.

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

For stage 2a the algorithm selected is 912BE32_1x16x384_768_EEPROM.12P (for a MC68HC912B32) it then asks for the Base Flash EEPROM address, 8000 is entered for this. I then get the following error:

Configuring blank check command ... done

Configuring erase check command ... done

CMD>PM : Program Module checking range of S records. Invalid address detected.

Invalid address in S record block from $0008300 to $000831F.

Error 53 during script.

Thank you & regards.

Mark Smith

• Greetings,

Why are you using $8000 as your offset? What happens if you just select $0.

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

$8000 was chosen because it is the base address for the flash EEPROM. $0 was selected but still get the same error.

I tried algorithm Freescale_912B32_1x16x16k_32k_Flash.12P and selected $0 address and get this error, note that the block addresses have changed:

Invalid address in S record block from $0008000 to $000801F.

Error 53 during script. S records not all in range of module.

Is the error to do with incorrect information set in the SAP file?

Thank you & regards.

Mark Smith

• Hello Takao,

I have tried all of the associated algorithms and still get the error 53, but in some cases with different invalid addresses in bock.

Please can help be given to solve this error?

Thank you & regards.

Mark Smith

• Greetings,

Instead of debugging the standalone image, you should find the PROG12Z software within your cyclone software package and try to figure out what the issue is. Repeat the same steps you used in your SAP image and see what errors you get.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

Thank you for replying.

A SAP file has been successfully created using .695 file and the MC68HC912B32 programmed. However the program is not working this is due to the firmware being partly programmed. The .695 file was originally successfully programmed in 2005 using a Noral Flex BDM which has now failed. The Noral tools show memory map for the .695 file in 7 bytes from $8000 to F5CC whereas the memory map of the programmed chip is shown in 16 bytes from $8000 to BFF0. Is there a way of forcing the PEmicro to program the same address range as the Noral Flex?

Thank you for your continued support.

Mark Smith

• Greetings,

As mentioned before, could you try the PROG12Z software and see if the firmware is completely programmed or not. Once we can confirm this, then we can take a look at the firmware within the cyclone to see if SAP images are behaving correctly. Trying to debug the problem with just the SAP image is going to be extremely difficult.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this? Were you able to resolve your issue?

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

The Noral Flex BDM programmer worked after many attempts and failures!

It would be nice to know why the Cyclone only partially programmed.

Thanks for your support.

Regards.

Mark Smith

• Greetings,

I understand that previous programmers worked, but you still have not tried my suggestion of using PROG12Z and see what parts are not programmed. Just follow along with me and you will get your answer.

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

Unfortunately we do not have the Prog12Z software and unable to download it due to security constraints.

Kind regards.

Mark Smith

• Greetings,

It is in the same directory as the cyclone pro software package. I thought you were using image creation utility, so you must have the software package and have not looked for the PROG12Z software in there. It may be named as PROG12Z_Cyclone.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

I cannot see on the Cyclone Pro Installation disk the program PROG12Z_Cyclone.

Kind regards.

Mark Smith

• Greetings,

Again, you need to have the cyclone pro software installed to see the software.

With your 695 file, what happens if you use the "Freescale_912B32_All_768_EEPROM_32k_Flash.12P" algorithm instead? Make sure to check the "Ignore address range check" to make sure you can make your SAP image. Then try programming this image.

If you continue to have issues and cannot install the cyclone pro software onto your computer, then you are stuck. You have no way of debugging this problem.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2018 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement