Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Fixing Burnt Multilink Universal
Christian S. Jan 8, 2018 at 10:51 AM (10:51 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi,

I have built a programming jig to easily program and debug multiple PCBs, however sometimes, abruptly the debugger starts draining current (around 150mA) and stops working.

I have already burnt 3 debuggers, and they are quite expensive, so is there a way how can fix my 3 debuggers instead of buying a new one?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

• To add to the comment above:

I am using Rev D of the PE Micro.
    Also, we have a 5V regulated voltage on our PCB and we are powering the debugger from this regulated voltage.
    We are using a common ground between the debugger and the PCB.

Thank you.

• Greetings,

You can send those multilinks to us for repair. I will have to assign an RMA ticket for this. Normally if the customer is outside of the USA, it may not be worth the repair and shipping costs both ways. However, if you have 3 units, then it may start making economic sense to repair them. Our repair technicians can also look into what kind of damage was done to help you diagnose why you are burning through many multilinks.

Have you considered using the cyclone as your programming solution for the jig? Multilinks are not designed as production programming solutions. Our cyclones however are designed specifically for mass production and allows the user to access and update the cyclones remotely without having to uninstall/reinstall the cyclone back onto the jig.

Let me know if you wish to send the multilinks to us and I can assign an RMA ticket for you. Please update the ticket with as much detail as possible like what chip you were programming/debugging and since this is a power-related issue maybe send a schematic you can attach to the ticket of the power connection used on the multilink and on the target device.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao Yamada,

Thank you for the follow up.

We managed to have 1 PE Micro flasher to work now and we only have 2 which are damaged.

We are being more careful with our jig, and since it is not worth it to send them to the US we will continue with our other 2 flashers.

Thank you again

• Greetings,

Thank you for the status update. I agree that if you are overseas then it may not be cost effective to get multilinks repaired. Much cheaper to buy new instead. But you will need to do your own diagnosing to why your multilinks are dying on you. You should open up the casing and see if you find any burnt or hot components and let us know what those are. We can help identify the problem based on your findings.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2018 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement