Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

Please accept the use of cookies on our site

At PEmicro we use web browser cookies in order to provide you with an enhanced experience and in order to be able to do things like shopping cart processing and identify you when you login to our website.

Click here to accept

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
ICD16Z & 68HC16 Help
Thomas D. Dec 22, 2017 at 11:11 AM (11:11 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Greetings,

Trying to connect to a Motorola 160-QFP 86HC16 in a 1996 Mazda ECU (Nippon Denso)using BDM. All the 160-QFP datasheets have the needed BDM pins at the same location (the ones I've seen). ECU is powered externally via an ECU stimulator (JimStim) with bluetooth ELM/OBD2 real-time communication working. Crystal is 4.000MHz.

PKG16Z-USB-Univ-FX arrived & installed this week on windows 10, help files no longer an issue. MU-FX's blue LED lights when plugged to USB, yellow LED lights when power is applied to ECU.

Launching ICD16Z, connection window shows 'update firmware 7.02' when trying to connect. Upon failure = "Flash erase failed. Result=$8882 firmware update failed. Retry?" I've tried changing the debug shift speed (31) with no change.

All target BDM connections triple checked. Only pin 5 (1 of 2 grounds) is not connected directly to the target but, an ECU ground.

The ultimate goal is to read and modify the target's contents. Keep in mind I am very new to any type of program / computer modification. So please dumb it down a bit compared to those whom you normally respond to. Due to the time of year, could you please give a few ideas to try.

Regards,
    Tom

Comments

• Greetings,

Please download the latest firmware updater utility and make sure you update your multilink to use the HC16 firmware and the latest version:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

Takao Yamada

• Round two,

Update gives a new issue. I then uninstalled everything and reinstalled, restarting after each step. Jungo now has three drivers listed; pemicrowindriver v12.4.0.0, USB Multilink 2.0 v12.7.0.0 and WinDriver v12.3.0.0 (flagged for unknown digital signature).

Driver test gave the following output:
      (detected) C:\WINDOWS\sysnative\drivers\pemicrowindrvr.sys (Version 12.03)
      (detected) C:\WINDOWS\syswow64\peusb32bin64os.dll (Version 12.03)
      (detected) C:\WINDOWS\syswow64\peusbmgr2.dll (Version 6.123)
      (detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\peusb64bin64os.dll (Version 12.03)
      (detected) C:\WINDOWS\system32\peusbmgr264.dll (Version 6.123)

Yellow LED cycles with target power (externally supplied). Blue LED cycles with USB connection. USB Multilink 2.0 appearance (in device manager) cycles with USB connection. Disabling the WinDriver seems to have zero effect. Disabling the pemicrowindriver blinds the connection manager from seeing the MUFX / appearing in the port drop down.

ICD16Z connection manager settings:
      port: USB1 MUFX Rev B (PEM52E51E)
      target: 68HC16-auto detect
      debug shift: (I tried every setting at 0, 1 & 10 mS delay)
      MCU bus speed - non selectable
      reset options: as above
      power: none (external).

Status window:
      Windows NT detected.

Once the connect button is pressed the following happens:
      connection manager box disappears.
      Status window updates with 'P&E interface detected - flash version 9.40
      the window tracking the progress of the connection no longer pops up since the firmware update, previously it was a 50/50 chance.
      the connection manager reappears with 'Can't communicate...check your...power' (I'm sure you know the full message).

Any ideas?

Tom

• Greetings again,

All the nanny-bots are tamed once again after being loosed by the last Win10 update.

The MU-FX is only pulling reset low every fifth or sixth attempt, bkpt may or may not play along. My current scope only has two channels so I can't see what is happening on the dso/dsi lines.

The following is what came on the pgk16z disk:
    prog16z v2.22
    icd16z v1.67
    casm16z 19oct99
    winide 15may2009

So how do I go about getting the versions that support the MU-FX RevB?

Also, when running the MU-FX firmware updater, it identifies that it has old/out of date firmware but will not allow updates past 9.40. Product limits or is something else a possible issue?

Are there any updated destructions/help files? I'm just starting out here so I can use (need) all the help I can get. Help files about WinXP and LTPT ports don't really help out idiots like me too much.

Regards,
    Tom

• Greetings,

For PROG16Z, you must have minimum version of 5.74 to support rev B of ML-Universal FX.

For ICD16Z, you must have minimum version of 5.16 to support rev B of ML-universal FX.

The firmware updater will always force firmware update. It is not accurate that it detects an old firmware.

There are newer CPROG help files, but the PROG and ICD help files are still the same. The software has not changed much over the years; just new hardware interface supports.

I advise you create a support ticket under Support page -> Support requests about this issue and I will pick up the ticket and we can discuss what we can try to help you with the software and hardware incompatibility issue.

Takao Yamada

• Update,

I do hate it when a thread is never closed with a solution. Makes it hard for idiots like me to learn from other's mistakes.

Software update resolved many issues. The last Win10 update now requires one to do the "SHIFT+RESTART" to activate unsigned drivers after each shutdown. Looking at the driver information in the device manager shows a failure to launch/start until the override. There is a CMD promt work-around for this issue, I chose not to follow that path.

Soldering the BKPT connection directly to the target did not work. I was able to see the MU-FX pulling both BKPT & RESET low. Moving the BKPT connection from the target to the BKPT pull-up resistor allowed everything to work as it should.

Hope this helps another,
    Tom

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2018 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement