Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

Please accept the use of cookies on our site

At PEmicro we use web browser cookies in order to provide you with an enhanced experience and in order to be able to do things like shopping cart processing and identify you when you login to our website.

Click here to accept

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Multilink universal "can't commmunicate with target processor MK21FX512VLQ12 and MK60DN512ZVLQ10!"
Jaroslav C. Nov 5, 2015 at 03:58 AM (03:58 hours)
Staff: Gerardo R.

• I am using processors MK10DN128VLH5 64pin, MK61FN1M0VMJ15 256pin BGA a MK60DN512ZVLQ10 144pin and programmer PE MUltilink universal. Every processor is used on variety PCBs. Currently I have problem with processor MK60DN512ZVLQ10, when I run Debug it can't find device. IDE CW10.5, CW10.6 i KDS3.0 behave all same way: print screen??

Because of this issue I had in our company a visitor from Freescale 2 years ago. He could not find anything so he wanted to log process of connecting to device after Debug was turn on. So he turned on logging: print screen??

Suddenly all was OK and working properly. After he turned off logging, IDE was not able to connect to device. I have settled with always having logging turned on. Exact same behavior was on 3 different PCB (different projects). Now after 2 years I start using processor MK21FX512VLQ12 144pin. It behaves same way as MK60DN512ZVLQ10 so I have to have logging turned on. I want to start using latest version of IDE (KDS3.0) but I cannot find that "logging option" anywhere so I am not able to connect to processor.
    From my point of view there are two options:
    1) FInd out why has to be turned on logging so I could turn it off (maybe it could be releated with 144 pin version of processor)
    2) Show me or tell me how I will turn on logging on KDS3.0. Perhaps it will start working same way as CW10.6.

Comments

• That is very strange. You can try adding the option "-outputdebugfile" to the GDB Server parameters to enable the same flags in our software.

• We have try to add this parameter to KDS 3.0 (Debug -> Debugger -> GDB Server Setting -> Server Parameters -> -outputdebugfile). I does not have any effect there is same error as before.

• I don't know if this is related, but today I suddenly started having serious debug issues with KDS3.0 with a Multilink Universal and Kinetis K22 device. I had some debug bring-up issues about 1 month ago (with 3 custom boards) but suddenly SWD debugging started working (not using JTAG on this board) and has been stable (until today).

Today, I was unable to debug any of the 3 prototype boards. I was getting a wide range of errors when attempting to connect and debug. The same tool config still worked with another custom Kinetis board which was strange.

Finally, when scoping SWD , I noticed significant overshoot and ringing on SWCLK. SWDIO signals looked great. With the scope connected to SWCLK debugging started working. Added a 33pF capacitor to SWCLK and suddenly after 5 hours troubleshooting, all 3 boards have stable debug operation.

These are 2 layer boards, with short traces to debug connector. SWD operation seems to require some SWCLK to GND capacitance to tame SWCLK. Not sure what sort of buffer/driver is inside multilink or if there's any slew-rate control, but it seems like a very aggressive output driver in SWD mode anyway.

• Hello Jon,
      I have tried to connect 33pF to SWCLK. PCB with K21 which was not working properly is OK now. I will try this with rest of PCB and with K60 as well. So far it seems that your advice helped.

Thank you

• Glad to hear that worked!

My boards continue to work well with 33pF however on the next board revision I'm going to add provision for a low-value series resistor too, since that may be a better option for controlling the ringing.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2018 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement