Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

Please accept the use of cookies on our site

At PEmicro we use web browser cookies in order to provide you with an enhanced experience and in order to be able to do things like shopping cart processing and identify you when you login to our website.

Click here to accept

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Download Hex file to MK20DX256VLH7
Scott M. Jun 9, 2014 at 03:08 PM (15:08 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello, I am trying to flash a MK20DX256VLH7 with a hex file I already have. For development I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible. It looks like I can use a USB Multilink Universal device with the CodeWarrior software from Freescale. I realize that PROG12Z is much better than CodeWarrior, but I would like to test a few chips before I buy anything else. Could you advise me if I am correct on all of this?

Thanks,

Scott

Comments

• Greetings,

PROG12Z is the wrong software. Not sure where you got the information that it supports the Kinetis ARM devices. If there are any misinformation somewhere, please let us know. What you need is the PROGACMP:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320138

The hardware selection of USB Multilink Universal is our cheapest option for the ARM Kinetis architecture. Also, PROGACMP is our cheapest flash programming software we have.

Takao Yamada

• Hi 

Can PROGACMP S/W can be used on different PCs ?

I need to program the flash in MK22FN512VDC12 using MULTI-UX.
      It has to be integrated into ATE PC using commandline to control.

Regds

• Greetings,

Our software license is single-person, single-seat. So that means the license is tied to one person and that person can install on 2 machines at a time but not used simultaneously.

If you need the software working on multiple machines with many multilinks simultaneously like on a production line, then you need a software license for each machine. And a 3rd party software can call CPROG (included with purchase of PROG) to run a flash programming session.

This is why we highly suggest customers to buy the cyclone hardware because there is no licenses involved and you do not need a computer on the production line to program your chip. It can be controlled by 3rd party software load a standalone image and execute the programming of your chip remotely.

Takao Yamada

• OK, will I be able to use the USB Multilink with the CodeWarrior software from freescale?

• Greetings,

Yes, the USB Multilink Universal is supported by Codewarrior by Freescale. However, Freescale has multiple flavors of Codewarrior so you need to make sure the version you have supports it. If you have the eclipse Codewarrior version 10.2 or higher, then you should be fine.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

• Hello, I have the same need as the question above: I need to program a MK20DX256VLH7 and for this I will buy a USB Multilink Universal, but I have some questions before proceeding to buy it:

1. Can I load my .hex file by using the USB Multilink Universal and the Kinetis Design Studio?

2. Which specific connector should I make available in my board for this purpose?

3. Is this type of loading considered as JTAG or SWD? Or are both available? What does it depend on?

• Greetings,

1) You can use KDS with the multilink to load a HEX file. However, understand that you will not be able to debug the project because HEX files are just binary files.

Create a random project and go into debug configurations to select your hex file.

2) Your board will need a 20-pin or 10-pin mini header with 0.05 pitch. I suggest getting the Samtec FTSH-110-01-F-D-K or FTSH-105-01-F-D-K from Digikey.

3) The K20DX256 can do both SWD or JTAG. But understand that JTAG is the 20-pin mini, and SWD is 10-pin, or use the 20-pin mini but will only use half of the pins. If you ever need external trace, then you must use the 20-pin JTAG.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you for your reply,

I see both the 10 pin and 20 pin have the same connections (Both SWD and JTAG) -only TRST is additional-, and because of space I would prefer to use the 10 pin connector.

How does it change then from using the 20 pin? Is JTAG / SWD not chosen using the pc software? What do you mean by external trace?

Thank you in advance

• Greetings,

External trace recording is when you need to debug with timing involved. You will see on the JTAG pins the "TRACE_Dx" pins. These are needed for Embedded Trace Buffer (ETB) and you can use Codewarrior 10.x with the Tracelink hardware to do this advanced debugging:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320147

However, not very likely you will be doing this.

Within software you can switch between JTAG and SWD. I agree that SWD is the way to go due to smaller profile. Just know that you cannot use JTAG when using the SWD protocol. While if you had the JTAG header you can do both.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you again for this information, with this I will be able to proceed to buy the programmer.

I would need an additional specification from you, since I need to provide specific instructions to my buard´s manufacturer to program it. I am seeing in the Kinetis Design Studio there are options for the following references: K20DX256ZM10 ; K20DX256M7 ; KX256M10, But I do not find a reference to program the K20DX256VLH7 as a target device. Could you advice which is the proper target device to select?

Thank you.

• Greetings,

The post scripts at the end of the name indicates the chip's frequency x 10. M10 indicates a 100 Mhz device. M7 is a 72 Mhz device.

I believe your chip is the 72 Mhz. The VLH indicates the package you are using, which is the 64-pin LQFP. The 7 indicates the M7 that you will be using. Since you do not have a 256Z, what you should be selecting is K20DX256M7.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2018 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement