PEmicro logo
Cart New Account Login

Logo image
HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Breakpoints not working USB-ML-UNIVERSAL revD - S32 IDE - SPC5746R
Alex 2. Sep 8, 2020 at 11:57 AM (11:57 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I'm facing some problems with hw breakpoints set on asm instructions. If I set it somewhere close down to current instruction (in current call) it hits correctly. If it's set somwhere in random place that is definitely hits while code execution - no breakpoint hit. Target is MPC5746R, only 1 core engaged.

Comments

• Greetings,

What happens if you create a brand new project for the MPC5746R and without any code or settings change you try to do a similar experiment? Are you able to hit the ASM breakpoints?

How many breakpoints in total are you setting?

Are you putting a breakpoint within an initialization code or interrupt subroutine?

Is this ASM code some code you wrote, or are you setting a breakpoint within the disassembly window?

Takao

• This is a "hello world" example project for MPC5746R. The content of the MCU I'm trying to debug is completely different. Breakpoints are set in disassembly window. The quantity of breakpoints doesn't matter, the same behaviour with only 1 bp. The function I'm trying to research called after receiving a CAN frame so it might be called from an ISR. Any problems with ISR debugging with ML?

• Greetings,

No issues I know of with debugging with ML, but my concern with ISR is whether you are actually able to step to that assembly instruction. I am assuming you already tested this.

If you place a breakpoint at a random location and click resume, and then click halt (because said breakpoint was not hit) does the device behave fine? Or has it reached some kind of exception? Has the device reset itself? These are things I would check next. A reset will erase not only RAM but all the hardware breakpoints you try to set, so within software it may look like you set the breakpoint, but in reality on hardware it is gone.

Takao

• The code is too large to step there manually. But I'll try to check it. When I stop the execution looks like everything fine, I can step forward without any problems.

• Greetings,

Any update on this? Were you able to find the problem?

Takao

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement