Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Multilink Universal stopped working after firmware upgrade
Andy M. Feb 17, 2020 at 06:54 AM (06:54 hours)
Staff: Gilbert Y.

• Hi, 
    I decided to change my hard drive to upgrade my PC, and now Multilink Universal is not working. The following error appears when trying to debug the device: "An error occurred while connecting to the interface hardware or target specified in the Launch Configuration Dialog. For this launch, you may retry/re-specify the connection with the following parameters:". KDS is identifying the port, but then that window appears.
    In the old hard drive I was running KDS, and the Multilink was perfectly programming (for many months) circuits based on the MKL03Z32M4. The laptop was configured for this since 2017.
    When I setup the new hard drive, including KDS, and downloaded the drivers from PE, the firmware of the Multilink Universal upgraded. Since then, it has been impossible to connect to any device, both using the new and the old hard drives.
    Both hard drives were running Win10 64 bits. I already checked for updates in KDS, and no updates were found.
    I need to fix this asap, as I am completely blocked to deliver a project. Is there a problem with the latest version of the Multilink Universal firmware?
    I have tried also with MCUXpresso, but it doesn't work either.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Hello Andy,

We have no reported issues of the latest MuliLink Universal firmware not working with Windows 10 or KDS. Are you using a MultiLink Universal or Universal FX? Can you provide the PEmicro plugin version that is installed in KDS and MCUXpresso?

If KDS is detecting the port in the debug configuration window, that seems like it may be an issue with connecting to the target device. How is your target device being powered? Is the yellow LED illuminated when you are attempting to debug/flash?

One thing you may want to also do is manually trigger the firmware update with the PEFirmwareUtility.exe that you can get in our resource CD found here: https://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320168&productTab=3. This will ensure that the firmware that is flashed on the MultiLink is the latest we have available rather than whatever firmware might have been in an old verion of KDS.

Regards,
      Gilbert Y.

• Dear Gilbert, 
        thanks for your comment.
        The target device was correctly powered and the yellow LED was illuminated.
        I decided to buy a new Multilink Universal, and the same thing happened: it automatically (not asking!) updated the firmware from version 9.81 to version 10.42. Once again, with this second programmer the same error appeared.

I decided to change the connections of the microcontroller while programming. With the MKL03 I used a 10 kOhm pull-up resistor in RESET pin and a 1 uF capacitor from Reset to GND; and a 10 kOhm pull-up resistor in NMI. With the previous version of the firmware (9.81) this worked fine. It is weird, but it seems that the new firmware (10.42) doesn't like the 1 uF capacitor at Reset. I disconnected this capacitor, and everything started programming all over again.

Could it be that the firmware changed the timings of reset, and the capacitor is screwing up with those timings? I don't know, but... at least everything started working again. Hopefully it stays like this.

Best,
        Andy

• Hi Andy,

Thank you for reporting back this information. With regards to the firmware update in KDS, this behavior is expected, albeit a little inconvenient for those who are relying on specific firmware versions for their projects. KDS must have installed with the latest plugin from us and the plugin contained new firmwares that automatically updated your MultiLink. By the time that MultiLink devices are purchased and used, sometime the firmware is "out of date" and we actually recommend to users that they update the MultiLink firmware with the PEFirmwareConfig utility provided in our MultiLink resources.

We will take a look at this issue with the KL03 and its reset line, and report back when we have findings on what could cause this issue.

-Gilbert

• Andy,

I have a few additional questions/thoughts:

1. Are your two MultiLink Universal devices the same revision?

2. Were there any hardware changes to your target device before and after the laptop migration?

3. Did the version of KDS change between migrations? Do you know if the PEmicro plugin version changed?

4. If you are able to, please scope the RESET line with the capacitor disconnected and with it connected. I would have expected both cases to properly be driven low when we attempt to halt the processor for debug/programming.

• Dear Gilbert, 

1. Are your two MultiLink Universal devices the same revision?
            Yes, they are the D revision.

2. Were there any hardware changes to your target device before and after the laptop migration?
            No, I tried with different circuits that were successfully programming before the update. There were no changes in these circuits.

3. Did the version of KDS change between migrations? Do you know if the PEmicro plugin version changed?
            I tried with the latest version of KDS and with the one that is still running in the old hard drive. They are not the same version. I am sure the plugin running in the old HD is still an old version of the plugin.

4. If you are able to, please scope the RESET line with the capacitor disconnected and with it connected. I would have expected both cases to properly be driven low when we attempt to halt the processor for debug/programming.
            I'll try to do this afterwards. I am currently out of the lab.

Thanks for checking this out.
            Best,
            Andy

• Hi Andy,

If you could send me the PEmicro plugin version from the old laptop, that would help me see what changes were made between that version and our present version.

• Hi Andy,

Just wanted to check in and see if you were able to test the RESET line on your KL03 with and without the capacitor. Also, if you are able to get the old PEmicro plugin version from your older laptop that would be helpful for us.

-Gilbert Y.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement