Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
MCUExpresso IDE Debug Issues With USB Multilink Universal
Juan R. Feb 9, 2020 at 05:59 PM (17:59 hours)
Staff: Mika I.

• Hello,

I am having an issue flashing an MCU on my board using the PEMicro GBD Debug Server. I've had success using the GUI Flash Tool first, then launching a debug session to attach to the target as a second step. With the earlier Kinetis Design Studio IDE, these two steps used to be done automatically on launching a debug session.

I've looked at the documentation (http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320151&productTab=3) over many times and can't read anything specific that mentions this.

I'm working with an NXP MKL82Z MCU. Just to clarify again, I'm able to successfully flash the MCU, but only manually via the GUI Flash Tool.

Am I missing anything with the debug configuration as this why flashing is not performed as part of debugging?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi Juan,

Please make sure that you have our latest GDB server plug-in installed in KDS.

Download the plug-in here: http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320151&productTab=1

Follow our step-by-step instructions here: http://www.pemicro.com/blog/index.cfm?post_id=130

Best Regards,
    Mika

• Thanks, Mika,

I've run the PEMicro plug-in update and read through the instructions to no avail.

The instructions do mention the following:

"Different launch configurations can be created for different launch scenarios (e.g., one configuration to reprogram the target MCU, and another to attach/hotsync to a running device)..."

However, there's no clear indication as to what the configuration differences for flashing/programming versus attaching to a running target are.

I still have to manually program the target using the GUI Flash Tool. But I've had no success programming & attaching to the target as part of a debug configuration detailed in the documentation.

• Hi Juan,

Thanks for updating your plug-in.

I think I know how to get your KDS to work as it did before, where it let you flash your device when launching a session.

P&E's Eclipse plugins v2.0.8 and higher support the "attach" type of debug session, where the GDB client is launched in a way that does not disturb the state of a target device, i.e. it skips the FLASH programming and reset steps which are a part of a standard P&E debug session. In order to disable the attach debug session option, I believe you can go to the Startup tab in your Debug Configurations, and deselect "Attach to Running Target" under Runtime Options.

Let me know if that works!

Best,
    Mika

• The "Attach to Running Target" option was it. I've been scratching my head these past days trying to resolve this. Thank you, Mika!

• No problem, I'm glad that worked!

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement