PEmicro logo
Cart New Account Login

Logo image
HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Readback Protection and Recovery of NRF52
Robbie B. Sep 18, 2020 at 11:51 AM (11:51 hours)
Staff: Mika I.

• We are considering using the Cyclone FX for production programming of NRF52 microcontrollers.  We currently use Nordic's NRFJPROG command line for programming.  When doing this, we use "nrfjprog --rbp ALL" to enable readback protection, preventing readback of the internal flash.  After this operation, the only way to re-program a controller is to use the "nrfjprog --recover" option to recover (erase all flash).

Before we try to use the Cyclone FX, I would like to confirm the following:
    1) Does the Cyclone FX have a way to enable the readback protection of the NRF52?
    2) Does the Cyclone FX have a way to "Recover"? I would like to ensure that I can re-program a board with the Cyclone. I have seen a few Forum questions relating to error code $0007, which I assume is because the "ERASE IF NOT BLANK" command isn't able to "Recover" a previously readback protected board.

Comments

• Hi Robbie,

Thanks for reaching out.

Yes, our algorithm for the nRF52 family includes a Secure Device (SD) command, which will include readback protection. If you try to reconnect to a secured device in PROGACMP or Cyclone standalone mode, you will be able to recover the device, by performing a mass erase.

The Erase if not Blank command is not the same as a mass erase to recover the device. The recovering process is done automatically in standalone mode, and is prompted upon connection in PROGACMP.

I hope that answers your questions!

Best Regards,
    Mika

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement