PEmicro logo
Cart New Account Login

Logo image
HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
How to write-protect sector of QSPI flash connected to I.MXRT MCU
Jeff T. Sep 22, 2020 at 07:52 AM (07:52 hours)
Staff: Juan S.

• I'm currently using a Cyclone to program the external flash connected to an MIMXRT1062 MCU. That works perfectly, but now I'd like to write-protect the last sector on the flash device, a Macronix MX25L25645G. This part, and many similar flash devices, features the ability to write-protect part of their memory from either the top or bottom, in various size blocks. I want to store my product's serial number and MAC address, plus other data, in the last sector of the device, and then set that sector to be read-only. Is this possible?

Additionally, is it possible to pass the data for the sector to be write protected to Cyclone in a production environment, so my product can be serialized at the manufacturer?

Comments

• Hi Jeff, we can add a custom command to allow write-protect on the MX25L25645G. Please create a request using the following link:

http://www.pemicro.com/SRS/create_SR_flashAlgRequest.cfm

• As for serial numbers and mac address, please visit the following link for more information:

http://www.pemicro.com/blog/index.cfm?post_id=167

• The serial number and MAC address capability is interesting, but I have other, proprietary, data I want to store in the same memory sector, which means I would have to create, at the time of manufacture, a SAP file separate from the program file (so that the program file has its own fixed CRC), and then program that extra file into the sector to be write-protected.

Rather than do that, I think I'll pursue modifying the SDK flash code for the MCU, to extend its capabilities to include setting the flash memory's protection bits after it writes my serialization data.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement