Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Need to upgrade from BDML and PXG16LVZ
Lezley S. Feb 16, 2018 at 05:15 PM (17:15 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• We have several test systems that use the BDML PCI card and the PXG16LVZ dongle that uses the GAL4445PLCC IC.  I did not see the PXG16LVS listed on your website so I'm guessing that maybe is the Cable_16/32LV?  The dongle that we have is not in a plastic case and the only identifying marking on the PCB is "ICD Cable" and a date of 1996. We are quickly running out of IC and are in need of hopefully upgrading. The part that this setup is presently supporting is the MC68CK16Z1CPV16.  Have I determined correctly that my best option for upgrading is the USB Multilink FX? We are  using the 10-pin header.  Will the programming be backwards compatible with what are presently using?  Or will changes need to be made to the code used to program the parts?

• Greetings,

We never had a PXG16LVZ, but a PKG16LVZ we did have at one point that had the software and the cable-16/32 Low voltage debugging pod.

You are correct that the USB Multilink Universal FX is the only upgrade option for you using the 10-pin header. The software you are using will not work on the new hardware so you will also need updated software as well. If your team is still developing code and needs a debugging software, then you will need to get the PKG16Z software package. But if you guys are only programming, then simply get the PROG16Z software.

USB Multilink FX:

Takao Yamada

• Thank you for your response!  Good to know I can use the USB Multilink Universal FX. And I did find some other documentation that showed we used the PKG16LVZ, so we have other documentation that is in error.  

Thank you for the information about needing new software. We are doing just programming. Do I assume correctly that the programmer and software still support S29JL032J? I did not see the part listed under Cypress, AMD, or Fujitsu anywhere on your website. Perhaps I overlooked it? The documentation for this parts says it uses the Motorola S-record format (S19). Will this be supported?

• Greetings,

S19 is standard so it will be supported.

S29JL032J is a Spansion external flash. If you were able to program this in the past, then you should have no problems in the new setup. You may need to use the same algorithm you used in the past as it is most likely customized to work in your setup.

Takao Yamada

• Great! Thanks!!

• Takao....another question has come to mind with regards to this. We have had several of the GAL4445PLCC fail due to ESD and I noticed several posts (USB UNIVERSAL DEAD, 3x times!, USB-ML-MON08 Protection needed? , USB Multilink universal no longer works .... replacement required ?) where it sounds like ESD is still a problem for these devices. I also noticed that in FAQ #33 statement 4 indicates care needed to be taken for ESD. So is the multilink still susceptible to ESD and if so does P&E have any suggestions or designs that their customers can implement to minimize the effects of ESD?  Our current us has the programmer disconnected from the target via relays.  When we are ready to program the target, the relays are connected and when the programming is complete the relays are disconnected.

• Greetings,

We have introduced a few more protections into our latest multilink offerings, however it can still be damaged by ESD. We have had customers develop their own isolation solutions to protect their boards and multilinks, but we do not provide any specific solution.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2018 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement