P&E’s USB Multilink Universal FX is a high-speed, all-in-one development interface which allows a PC access to the Background Debug Mode (BDM) or JTAG interface on many different Freescale MCU architectures (see complete list below). The FX's high-speed USB interface allows communications between your Windows machine and the standard debug connector on the target. The Freescale microcontrollers are supported via the multiple headers located on the USB Multilink Universal FX. The product photos to the left of this page show how the headers can be accessed by simply flipping open the plastic case. Ribbon cables suitable for a variety of architectures are included.
SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY: If you are using older P&E software with the USB Multilink Universal FX, you may need to upgrade to a more recent version that supports the FX. Please contact us for upgrade pricing. You may check here to see if your software supports the FX.
Supported Freescale Devices:
- Kinetis (includes L-Series)
- Qorivva MPC5xxx
- STMicro SPC5xxx
- ColdFire +V1/ColdFire V1
- ColdFire V2/3/4
The USB Multilink Universal FX includes all the features of P&E's standard Multilink interfaces, plus these additional benefits:
- Lightning fast! Up to 10X faster communications speed than P&E's other Multilinks*
- Can provide power to the target MCU
- I/O line clamping for added protection
- Supports additional Freescale devices
*The exceptional performance increases seen with the USB Multilink Universal FX are limited to synchronous architectures: Kinetis, Qorivva, Coldfire V2-V4, DSC, MPC5xx/8xx, and HC16/683xx.
By using the USB Multilink Universal FX, the user can take advantage of the background debug mode to halt normal processor execution and use a PC to control the processor. The user can then directly control the target’s execution, read/write registers and memory values, debug code on the processor, and program internal or external FLASH memory devices. The USB Multilink Universal FX can also provide power to your target MCU, either 3.3V or 5V.
The USB Multilink Universal FX is natively supported by recent versions of CodeWarrior® (10.x), current P&E software applications, and toolchains from many Freescale partners including IAR, Keil, Cosmic, Atollic, and Green Hills (check with the vendor for device compatibility). A list of supported software can be found here.
For many of the supported processors, P&E has a set of interface libraries allowing the user to write their own Windows-based application which interacts with P&E's debug interface.
This interface is USB 2.0 compatible, and it is also backwards compatible with USB 1.1 ports.
NOTE: For production usage, see either the Cyclone PRO or Cyclone MAX stand alone programmer and debug interface, depending on which processor you are working with. A comparison chart is available below to help you choose the appropriate interface.
- High-speed USB interface from PC to Multilink allows for fast, easy programming and debugging -- with the ease and compatibility of the USB interface.
- Draws power from USB interface-- no separate power supply required (draws less than 1mA from the target).
- Can be used to power target MCU.
- Target Voltage: 1.8V-5.25V
- Target Frequency: 16Khz-50Mhz (applies to HCS08, RS08, CFV1, S12Z, or HCS12X only)
- I/O line clamping for added protection
- Auto-frequency detection + trimming capabilities for HCS08 devices.
- Auto-frequency detection for HC(S)12(X) devices.
- Generates programming voltage on RESET line for RS08 devices.
- Kinetis support includes both the JTAG and SWD protocols
- One (1) USB 2.0 High Speed Cable, Type A to Type B, 6-ft.
- One (1) 6-pin 0.100" pitch ribbon cable for connecting to RS08, HCS08, HC(S)12(X), S12Z, ColdFire V1/V1+ targets
- One (1) 10-pin 0.100" pitch ribbon cable for connecting to MPC5xx/8xx or HC16/683xx targets
- One (1) 14-pin 0.100" pitch ribbon cable for connecting to Qorivva MPC5xxx, DSC targets
- One (1) 26-pin 0.100" pitch ribbon cable for connecting to asynchronous ColdFire V2/V3/V4 targets
- One (1) 20-pin 0.100" pitch ribbon cable for connecting to Kinetis targets
- One (1) 10-pin 0.050" pitch ribbon cable for connecting to Kinetis targets (Mini-10)
- One (1) 20-pin 0.050" pitch ribbon cable for connecting to Kinetis targets (Mini-20)
The USB Multilink Universal FX includes a ribbon cable for connecting to ColdFire V2-4 targets, however the MCF5272 & MCF5206(E) devices will require a separate adapter cable (not included) to synchronize the communications signals (as these devices do not do this on-chip).
Which Hardware Interface Is The Best Fit?
Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/8/10 with USB 2.0 software support. Requires a USB port on the PC.