Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Cannot debug with Multilink in CW Classic
Jan M. Jun 16, 2020 at 07:19 AM (07:19 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Documentation of problem:

https://imgur.com/Owt9Wib
    https://imgur.com/SN7TqRv
    https://imgur.com/aSFzmiy

This happens with MC9S08AC96 in Classic CW, but does not happen with Eclipse based CW or with MC9S08AW32 in Classic CW.

What could be the cause and resolution?
    Thank you very much in advance.

Comments

• I hope you checked our FAQ already:

http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211&menu_id=faqs

Takao

• I had patched the libraries before but even patching with the up-to-date version does not make any effect. I work in 32-bit Windows 7, so I didn't relocated the CW out of Program Files as recomannded for Windows 10. Would you have another idea how to resolve the issue? Thank you very much.

• Greetings,

Did you make sure to merge the files instead of replacing the whole folder? This is a common mistake.

Bizarre that AW32 works but AC96 does not. When you attempt to connect, does the multilink firmware update happen every time? It should only happen once ever and never does it again.

I would check your hardware connections and make sure BKGD, RESET, and VDD are connected. Power cycle your board and all of the BDM pins should measure 5V before you start your debug session. If not, then you have a board/chip issue.

After confirming 5V then connect and you should see both BKGD and RESET drop to 0V if you have an oscilloscope to watch that happen. Finally RESET should go back up to enter background mode.

Takao

• Hello Takao,

thank you for your advices. I merged the files, not replaced the folder.

The multilink firmware update tries to happen every time but never succeeds.

I can exclude the hardware problem because via Eclipse based CW I can work fluently. But I need the Classic CW because the customer requires it...

Thank you.
    Jan

• Greetings,

When you use AW32, do you see the multilink firmware update as well?
    I think the firmware update issue is the main cause of your problem.

Takao

• For AW32 there is no firmware update required, so no problem emerges. Is there a workaround how to avoid the firmware update for AC96?

Thank you very much.
    Jan

• Greetings,

Are you sure the AW32 and AC96 are on the same computer and setup? This makes no sense to me at all that one project has no update and the other does. From the debugger's perspective there are no difference in these two setups.

I want you to create a new AW32 project and new AC96 project inside Codewarrior and repeat the experiment of trying to debug a simple project. I want to see if you can get the same results in both cases, whether it passes or fails. With this inconsistency I cannot determine the problem.

Takao

• Hello Takao,

I realized that my CW63_patch_S08.RS08.CFV1 patch is from 28.06.2016, whereas the up-to-date patch from 01.04.2019 was not copied correctly. With the old patch, only AW32 worked. With the new patch, even AC96 works.

This is the case for Windows 10 eventually, where the windows driver is 12.4. In Windows 7, only windows driver 11.7 can be installed, which further obstructs the communication. But I am satisfied with CW Classic working under Win 10.

Thank you very much.
    Jan

• Hello Takao, 

I have the same problem with Multilink Universal Rev.D and CW6.3 (downloaded from NXP site yesterday with all patches, so I think it is the last release). When I try to connect the target for debugging, it appears the windows with update firmware information (Original Firmware: 88.194, Current Firmware 1..4 and Update Firmware: 6.15). After a while the updating process aborts.
    PLease note that blue and yellow leds are correctly on respectively after the USB connection to PC and target power on.
    I've followed all the instructions of the link you suggest for patching libraries of prog/P&E in the CodeWarrior directory, but without results.
    Is there a way to perform the firmware update of the MultiLink outside the codewarrior debugger connection form?
    Thank you very much for your support
    Stefano

• Greetings,

Which chip are you trying to program? This will tell me more of which files are being used when attempting to connect.

Takao

• Hello Takao, 
        I'm trying the M9S08AC16.

Thanks
        Regards
        Stefano

• Hello Takao, 

I have another issue (I'm sure this is not the right forum topic, you will probably redirect me to another one..).
          Today I get from Farnell another new Multilink Universal. When I connect this new device to the same PC (XP 32bit with CW classic 6.2) in order to debug the same project using the M9S08AC16, the connection windows does not detect the Multilink even if the drivers are correctly installed. I tried unplug/plug the USB cable more times, the blu led lights corretcly, the Multilink 2.0 driver icon appears on the device manager tree without errors, but codewarrior does not detect it (and I'm not able to do anything).
          If I connect this new device to another PC with wondows7 32bit and CW6.3 classic IDE, the connection window shows the Port: "USB-ML-ARM(FS) Rev D on USB1...." and when I try the button "Connect(Reset)", it fails. The command window of the CodeWarrior says "P&E Interface detected - Flash version 9.81" and "Frequency change to ~0hz."

Any idea?
          Thanks
          Regards
          Stefano

• Greetings,

First off, we don't have any solution for CW6.2. Only CW6.3 as clearly mentioned in my release notes. So I cannot help you there.

CW6.3 needs to not only identify the correct hardware but also firmware update it to the right version. Currently neither is happening. You are not the only person that has brought this issue up this week so I am looking into this already.

Takao

• Greetings,

I updated the CW patch on Friday. Give the new patch a try and let me know if you continue to have issues.

Takao

• Hello Takao, 
      I've downloaded the (new?) patch CW63_patch_S08.RS08.CFV1 from your site following the same link http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211&menu_id=faqs.
      The name and the data of the patch in your site are unchanged (16 sept 2019) but the zip file is bigger (so I think it is the updated one).
      I've unzipped the file, merged the files to the prog/P&E original directory, but nothing changed:

- with the "old" Multilink Universal "USB-ML 12(FS) Rev D on USB1 (Name=PEMF4B867) (Autodetected), the firmware update of the Multilink fails with the same informations as before the new CW63 patch;

- with the "new" Multilink Universal "USB-ML-ARM(FS) Rev D on USB1 (name=PEMDC6B71)(Autodetected)", CW63 does not try the multilink firmware update and the command windows says "P&E interface detected - Flash version 9.81" and "Frequency change to ~0hZ.", as before your new patch.

Please, note that the "old" Multilink 12(FS) worked perfectly with a CW62 on a Windows XP 32bit, and now it is not working on the same system with the same problem: when I try the Connect button the CW62 tries the firmware update and give me these information:
      - Original firmware: 88.194
      - Current firmware: 1..4
      - Update Firmware: 5.77
      and then it fails the firmware update.

I see there is a "multilink_universal_install" on your site. Could this utility helps me to solve the problem?

I'm waiting your comments.
      Stefano

• Greetings,

Latest multilink universal resource CD:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

Try force updating using this utility and see if it does anything different.

Takao

• Hello Takao, 

I downloaded the multilink_universal_install program, I executed the Firmware Updater utility on the "old" Multilink I have. The Firmware Updater used the file "usbmlfsufbdmens.1046" to upgrade the multilink firmware. The firmware upgrade ended succesfully.
      After that I tried the connection to my target with CW63 but nothing changed.
      The connection fails as usual during the multilink firmware upgrade.

I tried also the firmware update to the "new" multilink universal, I changed the architecture from "ARM" to "RS08/S08/S12(X)(Z)/Coldfire+/ColdfireV1", the utility selects the same firmware file "usbmlfsufbdmens.1046" and the firmware upgrade ends succesfully also in that case.
      Now the "new" multilink has the same behaviour as the "old" and CW63 fails the target connection with the same error during the firmware uprade.
      Do you think it's possible the Multilink firmware of the usbmlfsufbdmens.1046 is too recent for the CW63? It's possible to try to downgrade the multilink firmware to and old version?

Regards
      Stefano

• Greetings,

Could you check your C:\Windows\ directory and check to see if there are any unit*.dll (i.e. unit_12z.dll) that may be causing this issue. You will find that in my patches I update them with new DLLs latest being 8.13, but if there are other versions hidden in your computer I wonder if those are taking precedence over the new ones I am putting in my patches.

Takao

• Greetings,

A workaround is to remove all the firmware files in the folder inside the prog folder within your codewarrior directory.

These firmwares all have "usbml" prefix. If you remove all of them then there is no firmware to update to, and it should continue with the debug. Make sure you use the firmware config utility so that it has the correct firmware and the latest.

Takao

• Hello Takao, 

I verified the c:\Windows directory (and subdir) and there is no unit*.dll files.
      I see your 8.13 version dlls (a lot of prog*.dll, ICD*.dll and unit_cfz_v1_version_813.dll and unit_cfz_v234_version_813.dll).
      I've not found dlls which name is starting with "unit" related to ML (like (unit_12z, as you suggest).

About the workaround you suggest to remove all firmware files starting with "usbmlf" from codewarrior directory, I try it and CW63 doesn't try the firmware upgrade. The target connection now fails due to Frequency change:
      the command log says: "P&E interface detected - Flash version 1..4" and
      "Frequency change to ~178321Hz", whilst the Trim control says "Default trim reference frequency is 243000.00Hz. (Valid range: 182250.00 to 303750.00Hz)"

I try both my Multilink ("old" and "new") with the same behaviour (same frequency change value ~178321Hz.

Stefano

• Greetings,

Please create a support request ticket in the support page and what I will do is give you a potential workaround until we find a solution to this problem. I cannot send or attach files within a forum.

Takao

• Hello Takao, 

I will open the ticket immedaitely.

Regards

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2021 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement