Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Spurious breakpoints while debugging Kinetis K22F
. Jan 16, 2020 at 07:25 PM (19:25 hours)
Staff: Gilbert Y.

• Hi,

we are debugging an application with a Multilink Universal and KDS 3.2. When running the debug configuration, it stops at breakpoints that we never set. Deleting all breakpoints doesn't change the behavior.

The same hardware&debugger on a different PC work fine, so we assume it is a driver/plugin issue.

The non-working PC is plugin 4.4.1, the working one is 4.2.4. The non-working one also doesn't show the PE logo when you open the Debug Configurations menu.

What would be the best way to diagnose the issue?

Thanks,
    Andy

Comments

• In addition, the same hardware & debugger work properly when debugging in MCUXpressoIDE 11.1. There are some visual differences in the Debug Configurations menu as well:
    - In my KDS install, the "GDB PEMicro Interface Debugging" item does not show the PEMicro logo. In my MCUX install and Andy's KDS install, it does show the logo.
    - In my MCUX install and Andy's KDS install, the Debugger tab includes "SWO/Power Measurement Settings" and "Exception Catching Settings". In my KDS install, neither of these sections appear.

• Hello Andy and Paul,

Can you clarify which IDE is using what plugin version? Did you install the software through the "Install New Software" window via update site or by downloading the plugin from our website? It may be best to uninstall and then reinstall the plugin to see if the issue persists.

The "SWO/Power Measurement Settings" and "Exception Catching" panels should appear in both plugins since we have had the SWO feature available in our plugin since late 2018 and version 4.4.1 was released in November 2019.

Regards,
    Gilbert Y.

• It is my installation of KDS 3.2 which has debug issues. Here is everything listed in the Installation Details screen when I search "PEMicro":
    Installed Software -> GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support, Version 4.4.1.201911122108
    Installed Software -> GNU E200 PEMicro Interface Debugging Support, Version 1.9.9.201907200403
    Installed Software -> PEmicro ARM Device Expansion Plugin, Version 4.1.1.201911122108
    Plug-ins -> GNU ARM Interface Debugging Support, Version 2.3.6.201602211227
    Plug-ins -> P&E Core Plugin, Version 1.1.43.20160221227
    I believe these were obtained through the "Install New Software" window pointing to http://www.pemicro.com/eclipse/updates. Attempting to uninstall any of these plugins seems to fail. KDS claims the plugin was uninstalled, and restarts, but afterwards the plugin still appears in the "Installation Details" screen, except now the uninstall button is disabled.

I had tried reinstalling KDS before, but the plugins stayed the same. This time I uninstalled KDS, manually deleted the folder at C:\Freescale\KDS_v3 and reinstalled. In the fresh installation, here is everything listed in the Installation Details screen when I search "PEMicro":
    Installed Software -> GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support, Version 2.3.6.201602211227
    Plug-ins -> GNU ARM Interface Debugging Support, Version 2.3.6.201602211227
    Plug-ins -> P&E Core Plugin, Version 1.1.43.20160221227
    This behaves as described above, with spurious breakpoints, no PEMicro logo and missing panels in the debug configurations window.

Next, I selected Help -> Check for Updates. Once all available updates are found and installed, here is everything listed in the Installation Details screen when I search "PEMicro":
    Installed Software -> GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support, Version 4.4.9.202001152348
    Plug-ins -> GNU ARM Interface Debugging Support, Version 4.4.9.202001152348
    Plug-ins -> P&E Core Plugin, Version 1.2.0
    Now, the PEMicro logo and pannels appear, but my USB Multilink does not appear in the list of available devices, even if I refresh. Restarting KDS and/or my computer does not change this. The multilink is also not detected by the Firmware Update Utility, version 10.17.0.0.

Next I went to Device Manager -> Jungo -> USB Multilink 2.0 -> Update Drive -> Search automatically for updated driver software. Once the driver was updated, KDS and the Firmware Update Utility recognized the Multilink again. When I start debugging again, the spurious breaks seem to have stopped, so I think things are working now.

• Thank you for reporting back the status of your KDS install. Hopefully this permanently resolved the issue, but please feel free to let us know if the issue arises again or any new issues have come up in the new plugin.

• For comparison my installation of MCUX 11.1, worked from the beginning. Here are all the "PEMicro" items listed in the Installation Details screen:
    Installed Software -> GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support, Version 4.4.1.201911122108
    Plug-ins -> GNU ARM Interface Debugging Support, Version 4.4.1.201911122108
    Plug-ins -> P&E Core Plugin, Version 1.2.0
    All of these came installed with MCUX 11.1, without using the "Install New Software" window.

Based on this, my best guess is that the issue was that KDS 3.2 had an old version of P&E Core Plugin, Version 1.1.43.

Notably, using the "Install New Software" tool in KDS does not allow me to install the Core Plugin. It does not appear on the list of available software if I point to the site at http://www.pemicro.com/eclipse/updates. It also does not appear on the list of available software if I point to com.pemicro.debug.gdbjtag.pne.updatesite-4.4.1-SNAPSHOT.zip, which I downloaded from http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320151. In the second case, I can actually see the Core 1.2.0 plugin if I open the zip file manually. KDS just doesn't want to import it.

• That is good to know. I will report this back to our deployment team and try to get this fixed for KDS as soon as possible.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2020 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement