Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Newbie help - guide me to the right parts
Simon M. Aug 28, 2019 at 06:10 AM (06:10 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi All,

I am totally new to microcontrollers programming but want to get going. I am a C# programmer and can Program the teensy board. I am looking to create my own PCB for controlling buttons, LED's and a simple display for Computer game steering wheels. Currently I solder the Teensy onto another PCB but my aim is to be able to create full PCB with the control in the PCB itself.

The product I'm basing my PCB on uses the MK22FN128VLH10 so I will follow that lead and use the same or similar chip.

My question is very basic... What programmer / Debugger do I need and what software is required to write the program?

Do I need the standard Multilink or the Multilink FX?

Are there any recommended books or web links that would help me get started with this chip?

Thank you for any help.

Simon Maltby
    Sim Racing Machines (UK)

Comments

• Greetings,

I remember the days using the Teensy board for my project! Sounds like a fun project.

What you require is the multilink ACP LC hardware since you only need support for ARM devices. No need to pay more for the multilink universal or multilink FX hardware.

What you also need to know is what software you should be using. I would recommend MCUXpresso from NXP. It will support the Multilink ACP LC hardware. It is a free Eclipse IDE where you can compile and debug all in the same environment:
    https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/mcuxpresso-software-and-tools/mcuxpresso-integrated-development-environment-ide:MCUXpresso-IDE

By the way, NXP sells an evaluation board of this chip:
    https://www.nxp.com/design/development-boards/tower-development-boards/mcu-and-processor-modules/kinetis-modules/kinetis-k22-tower-system-module:TWR-K22F120M

The best way to learn is to run their example projects and SDK, and read the reference manual. It is a lot of reading but you do not need to use every peripheral of this device to get your project working. Their projects sets up the device for you and has the header files required to read/modify registers with ease.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you so much.  That's really great info.  The Evaluation board sounds like a great idea.

May I just clarify that you mean I need this USB-ML-ACP rather than this USB-ML-UNIVERSAL? I am struggling to find a UK supplier for the USB-ML-ACP but the Universal and FX are available ok.

Simon

• Greetings,

The USB-ML-ACP (Multilink ACP LC) is cheaper than the USB-ML-Universal (Multilink Universal LC) but since you are in the UK your best bet is probably the USB-ML-Universal. The Universal covers more devices than you require and you pay for it. But it would be cheaper than getting it shipped from the USA.

All of our hardware works on MCUXpresso.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks again.  I have ordered a few things and will see how I get on.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2019 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement