Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
Multilink undetected in prog12z.exe after win10 pro update
Rolf E. Aug 22, 2019 at 09:51 AM (09:51 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi, After updated Wín10 Pro to Version 1903 18362.295 prog12z.exe is unable to find my USB Multilink. Blue and yellow led is lit on the Multilink and driver visibel in windows.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Greetings,

Check the modified date on your prog12z.exe file and see if the date is before year 2010. If so, the software is too old. Starting year 2010 all of our software had to go through library changes to support 64-bit and modern operating systems.

Also check the revision and part number of your multilink hardware and let me know so I can tell you whether it will work on Windows 10. There are a few devices that will not work due to Microsoft discontinuing support for certain USB driver chips.

Takao Yamada

• Hi, The USB Multilink and prog12zexe has been working before of the windows UPDATE 1903...

• Greetings,

That is quite bizarre. I would advise reinstalling our USB drivers. It is possible that they updated their drivers certificates and caused ours to be moved:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=53

Takao Yamada

• Hi,
    When I plug the multilink in, the driver gets loaded and gets visible, and also the led:s on the multilink is on!
    From my point of view it has to do with prog12z.exe and how that software accesses USB hardware?

• In the status window of prog12z.exe I got the following message: Notice - Cyclone Pro/Max USB driver did not initialize. (1234BEEF) -Library=WDAPI900.DLL

• Greetings,

So did you try the new drivers I posted for you?
    What version of PROG software are you running?

Takao Yamada

• Hi
    I'm running 12.7 already and prog12z version is 1.96.00.00

• Greetings,

I was able to replicate your issue and now I am off to reading Microsoft Windows release notes to find out what happened. I will keep you posted.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Spent the last hour reading up any changes in 1903 and 1809 releases and it looks like they patched up a lot of calls made by any EXE and DLL that were vulnerable to privilege elevation attacks. They do not mention specific calls I guess for security reasons but our drivers, based on Jungo, do require the use of USB DLL that the PROG12Z EXE uses.

I wish Microsoft would stop doing this to us, it is the second time they have caused our USB drivers to be unsupported. This is why we had to use a new WinDriver in year 2010 to support Windows 7 and we had to redesign our multilinks as well.

The USB drivers used in PROG12Z version 1.96 is based on our WinDriver version 11.0 and 11.1 when Windows 7 was released back in year 2010. When Windows 10 was released we did have to update our drivers to a newer version 12.2 and eventually 12.7 that Jungo released to us. Looking at your release notes, we officially supported Windows 10 on January 2016 with PROG version 5.74.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to revert this change. We cannot modify the EXE you are running nor can we modify Windows. We cannot change the DLL because the EXE requires a specific version of the DLL.

So the two things I can think of is either roll back your Windows Update to an earlier version (I recommend 1803) or you have to update your software that uses our latest driver model. Our latest version does work with 1903, I made sure to test that out. Rolling back may only be temporary and you are vulnerable to other security problems in the future.

Takao Yamada

• Hi, today I removed the driver completely and had it reinstalled again, 12.7 that is and luckily it now works!
    Tanks for your help! Microsoft is really keepings us busy…

Best regards

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEmicro account.

© 2019 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement