Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

Please accept the use of cookies on our site

At PEmicro we use web browser cookies in order to provide you with an enhanced experience and in order to be able to do things like shopping cart processing and identify you when you login to our website.

Click here to accept

search inside this forum
search inside all forums
16P Questions
Thomas D. Jan 9, 2018 at 10:17 AM (10:17 hours)
Staff: Johnny N.

• Greetings,

Target is a Denso rebranded Motorola 68hc16 160 pin QFP from April 1996 (about). All software has been updated in the last few weeks on a Win10 OS. Pinout follows those listed in the 68HC916Y3 manual.

I'm trying to understand the differences between the 16P files, file naming & internal and external 16P files. I'm new & don't know much. The following reason is why I'm asking.

With ICD16Z, the memory window show the code beginning at 00000 and ending at FFF9D.

With PROG16Z, the UM command produces code beginning at 0000 and ending at 00f9d.

Thus far I have been using the 916Y3 16p files in PROG16z. Only a few work (9y3_32k2 is one) but all produce the same output.

This could be something I'm doing incorrectly, I don't know.

Regards,
    Tom

Comments

• Semi-update,

Found the below link explaining much of the timing algorithm file naming process, still a few noob type questions.

http://www.pemicro.com/blog/index.cfm?post_id=36

1. What are the differences between the regular and 'Rev_A' files? Just an updated timing algorithm or something else like hardware / software related?

2. When selecting a 16p file, I assume the last part of the file name describes the portion of the target one is trying to connect to (EEPROM/CONTROL_BLK). Meaning if file 916Y3_32K-2 is able to connect to the target, file 916Y3_32K-1 should also; at a different 32K block of memory (assuming the number following "K" is the only change)?

3. If the above assumption is incorrect and the "K" files represent completely different algorithms one just uses a file that works? How does one then upload a program larger than 32K?

Tom

• Thomas,

I'm really sorry that your issue wasn't properly addressed by the previous support engineer. Do you still need help with this issue?

1) I'm not sure about this particular HC16 chip but it might be for different revisions.

2) This is correct. The Y3 has 3 32K modules in the Flash EEPROM.

3) we should also have one algorithm that can address all 96K of memory.

Regards,
      Johnny
      PEMicro

• Johnny,

Apologies for the delayed response, I have not checked my e-mail in a few days.

I was able to download the entire program memory from the MCU. Due to life getting in the way, I have not been able to work on this hobby project in the last 6+ months. I can't recall off the top of my head how I did this - I do recall it took a bit.

While it would be awesome to continue working on this project, I am unsure if I can. I have reached a 'barrier' pertaining to computer programming (no training/little understanding).

After retiring from my last government job, I am currently in school for an AAS in integrated circuit design - quite interesting so far.

Just for further clarification, this is an automotive ECU with two internal MCUs. One which (from research) seems to be application specific, contains On-Board Diagnostic 2 programing (OBD2 - first required in 1996 - same year as this ECU) and the MCU that I have played with that controls timing and other 'Hot-Rod' type parameters.

The MCU in question is defiantly a 6816. BUT it is altered from the 'stock' variants; likely by ND request & Motorola contract.

I ASSUME you have access to my e-mail account information. If so, I can send you what info I have so far gathered and pictures of the IC/PCB/BIN/text file download.

I DO understand the above may not be feasible as it is above and beyond normal customer service.

Regardless of the outcome, I greatly appreciate the follow up. I'll have to dig out the interface to ensure I have the latest update before my support runs out.

Many Thanks,
    Tom

• Hi Thomas,

If you are able to read out the flash on the HC16 MCU, then it seems like the P&E tools are working properly. What other questions do you have now? If you need help modifying the code or the S19 files, that really isn't feasible, as you stated, since we don't know anything about this ECU. Looking at some tutorials and manuals for HC16 assembly programming will probably be required. If you have trouble erasing or programming the flash in PROG, then we can definitely help you with those issues.

If you want to send us any information, you can use technical-info@pemicro.com

Good luck with your project!

Regards,
      Johnny
      PEmicro

If you are having trouble performing any flash operations (like erasing, programming, reading data out), we can try to help you.

• Johnny,

Thank you again for the reply.

I can bundle all the pictures and text files I have in a zip file and then send them to your inbox. Is there, or should there be a size limit?

I don't "think" my computer is infected with anything but, I'm sure your protocol has a vetting process for incoming mail packages. My computer has been on multiple continents, so a more 'invasive' interrogation may be in order of any files you may receive from me.

Your protocols do work. The issue I had/have is with the non-public MCU changes - no "Nippon Denso automotive ECU MCUs for Dummies" book.

As I have little programing experience/knowledge (and beyond the scope of your customer service), I would politely request a "verification" about the reprogramming/flash voltage process operations.

For the backstory: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=651815

Sincerely,
    Tom

• Hi Tom,

It looks like the HC16Y3 has 3 32KB modules in the Flash EEPROM for 96KB total. Are you able to read out all of the EEPROM? What is it that you think you are not able to read out?

Regards,
      Johnny
      PEMicro

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2018 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement