Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Debugging Multi-Cores within S32DS & multilink-FX
. Nov 14, 2017 at 04:38 AM (04:38 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• To anyone who care this:
    We have two debug tools: multilink-FX and Cylone-USB while desired to debug MPC5775K on S32DS environment.
    Is there any help or documents about debugging on multi-cores? The Z7 core can not function well when I debugging Z4 core. I have to launch Z4 project first before debug Z7 project. But I'm not sure it is the correct way to debug them.
    Thx in advance for any advice.
    Gy.Han

Comments

• Greetings,

The Z4 core is the primary core of the MPC5775K and it is turned on out of power-on-reset. The Z7 cores are in reset when the chip is first powered up and are turned on by the Z4 core. If you carefully read the source code you are debugging, you should find a section where the Z4 will turn on the secondary Z7 cores. This is why you must debug the Z4 core project first before being able to debug the Z7 cores.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao:
      Thanks for your reply.
      That's right the other two Z7 cores need to be started in Z4 codes, and I have successfully run the three cores simultaneously.
      With some algorithm development concerns, I wish to trace the three cores simultaneously when debugging, that means any core can stop at corresponding breakpoints and I can observe the running status of every core. I have no ideas that does the multilink-FX or Cylone USB can do this?
      As I use GDB in S32DS, there is a debug entry called "Launch Group", but it is difficult to get known more about it because of no enough description in Help Content. I tried to utilize this entry to trace three cores, but failed.
      Is anywhere I did wrong or something I haven't got? Or I can't trace three cores at the same time?
      Thanks.
      Gy.Han

• Greetings,

There is no trace capabilities for PPCNEXUS devices using our tools. You can flash program, run, step, breakpoint, read/write memory. But you will not get any real-time captures of the status of each core.

Launch group simply runs Z4 core until it reaches main() so that it has initialized RAM and turned on the other cores, then starts the debug session for the other Z7 cores until it reaches main().

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao:
      It seems that a Lauterbach tool within NEXUS port is needed if to trace three cores simultaneously.
      Thanks for explanation of Launch Group. It is enough for me to debug 5775K. I used to start Z7 cores after Z4 reach main entry by bypass the default HW_INIT macro, it looks like I was doing wrong.
      Thx again for your help.
      Gy.Han

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement