Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Error $000A On HC08 (MON08)
Steve S. Oct 17, 2017 at 05:13 PM (17:13 hours)
Staff: Johnny N.

• Hi 

Hoping someone can point me in right direction.

Having cummunication problem with Cyclone Universal to MC68HC908AZ60A device. Device has 4MHZ crystal on target PCB. Have 10K pull-up resistors on the Debug port signals. (RESET,IRQ,PTA0,PTC0,PTC1& PTC3) Switching signals thru relays to PCB and wire length aprox 20cm-30cm. Confirmed connections correct to Port E.

Getting Error $000A : Error writing a block of data to target.

Tried both Standard and high Speed. Below is cfg for high speed.

:PORT USB1
    :TARGETCLASS 8
    :DEVICETYPE AZ
    :CLOCKDIVIDER 1
    :SAPGUIVERSION 362E3232
    :DEVICEPOWER 0
    :POWERDOWNDELAY 250
    :POWERUPDELAY 250
    :POWEROFFONEXIT 1
    :DEVICECLOCK 1
    :NEWIMAGE
    :DESCRIBEIMAGE High Speed
    CM C:\pemicro\cyclone_universal\supportFiles_HC08\908_AZ60A_HighSpeed.08P
    EM ;Erase Module
    BM ;Blank Check Module

Have tried adding in RESET and DELAY's before EM but still seeing the same problem.

Any suggestions/ideas as to what else I can try on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Would like to add some additional information and questions after further investigations. 

1. Did have issue did not realise as board was externaly powered. Using Setting A Power-in Jack and Power-out Jack now. Also populated Power Jumper 4.

2. Used Cyclone CLock to overide crystal. Tried both STANDARD and FAST. What should you use and why?

3. Board was pre-programmed but had image files so attempted to specify baud rate and also use Security Byte settings from image file.

4. Attempted to use PROG08SZ software found in the cyclone universal software package to help debug.

Believe that my sample card may have been damaged during my experiments. My error change from $000A to $0005 : Error detecting communication speed. Will try new board when available.

When we enter monitor mode I beleive that we need to apply +8V onto RST pin. Could this be confirmed? If this is teh case would it be a problem to restrict this to +7V using a zener. Reason being device is on printed circuit board and concerned about supervisory circuit attached to RST pin of micro.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks,

• Hi Steve,

The AZ60Z doesn't need high voltage applied on the RST pin to enter monitor mode according to the data sheet. It only needs to be applied on the IRQ pin.

The monitor mode is designed to operate with a 4.9152 MHz crystal clock source (or multiples of 4.9152 MHz).

Did you try the MON08 diagnostics mode?

Regards,
    Johnny
    PEmicro

• Hi Johnny,

Beleive that some of my initial problems was due to somehow managing to damage my initial sample card.

Used the diagnostics mode in PROG08SZ. Realy useful and great idea. Found that the RESET was going to 6V which was not a problem and everything else was good.

Got new sample boards and attempted to program again. Used PROG08SZ and managed to etablish communication using the CYLONE clock @4.9152 MHz. Did not work when went higher.

When set up Cyclone Image Creation software found that it seemed to take a long time to establish comunication. Eperimented with the delays and security codes (took from programmed file) but did not seem to make much difference. The PROG08SZ software seems to be running much quicker. Watching the LCD display when run initial execute it is taken long time in execution and looks like it was struggling to establish connection.

But now need to replace the crystals on my samples as using the CYCLONE clock seems to have damaged them. When replaced will attempt to program using the 4MH crystal on the PCB. Fingers crossed.

Any ideas how to speed up the connection between CYLONE and device?

• Hi Johnny,

I am using Cyclone Universal. To use "CPROG08SZ 68HC08 Command-Line Programming Software" do I need to activate somehow? Seen on website the following "A license may be purchased to activate the CPROG08SZ commandline software"

Thanks,

• Hi Johhny,

It looks like when using the CYCLONE clock it its changing the electrical characteristics of the OSC1 and OSC2 pins on micro. Both start reading aproc 2.5N to GND. Kills the crystal so board will not work.

We can access the micro and program with no issues using the CYCLONE CLOCK.

Any reasons why this is happening ?

• Hi Steve,

The Cyclone Universal includes a free license to all of our commandline programmers. Go to the InteractiveProgrammer folder and you should be able to find cprog08sz_cyclone.exe. The users manual is in the same location. The software will run without the need for any activations.

>It looks like when using the CYCLONE clock it its changing the electrical characteristics of the OSC1 and OSC2 pins on micro. Both start reading aproc 2.5N to GND. Kills the crystal so board will not work.

Can you clarify this part? Are you saying that after using the Cyclone clock the crystal only drives OSC1 and OSC2 to 2.5V instead of Vdd?

-Johnny

• Hi Johhny,

not sure what the crystal is doing now. But electrically I am reading 2.5N from OSC1 to GND and OSC2 to GND. There is a reset supervisor circuit so the board os reseting itself every 250ms which from the specification indicates that crystal is not working.

Removed crystal so measuring the pins directly and seeing the same. So soemthing has changed. Checking my GND'ing on the set-up I have to see if this a problem. Also switching +5V thru the CYCLONE to the board. No other power on board at this time but GND is referenced to SYSTEM GND.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks,

• Hi Steve,

Here are our suggestions for the design of the board and how to connect it to the Cyclone Universal.

1. Connect the following debug signals to the Cyclone Universal MON08 port:
            IRQ, PTA0, VDD, GND, OSC
            PTC0, PTC1, PTC3 controls the clock divider and is optional. They can be connected to the Cyclone or you can have pull-up/pull-down on the board.

2. Use the standard non-high speed algorithm

3. Your supervisory circuit could cause some issues so don't connect the RST pin to the Cyclone. It isn't needed for entering monitor mode. However, you will lose the ability to reset the micro if you are debugging with the Cyclone Universal.

4. Install a 10 Kohm external pull-up resistor to PTA0.

5. An external pull-up resistor is not necessary on IRQ. Better to remove it so you don't have any current leakage.

6. div 2 for the clock divider should be used. PTC0 should be high, PTC1 should be low, and PTC3 should be low. You can connect these pins directly to the Cyclone to be driven or you can just use pull-up/pull-down resistors on the board.

7. The clock signal should be provided by your board's 4 Mhz crystal. Select the option "Target self-clocked. P&E Output clock disabled" Don't use the Cyclone clock to over drive the crystal.

8. Control the power of your board using the Cyclone's relays. Use the setting Power-in Jack and Power-out Jack.

Regards,

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement