Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Debugging ST's SPC563Mxx
Hideki N. Oct 11, 2017 at 07:32 PM (19:32 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi,

Does the Multilink Universal (Rev. B) support ST's SPC563Mxx? I have been trying to establish a JTAG connection (Port A, 14-pin) but no luck. Only the blue LED turns on when connected to the PC (Windows 7) via USB. Not the other one.

For your reference, I am using the trial edition of ICDPPCNEXUS (Version 5.74.00.00) which I installed over an year ago. It first brings up the PEMICRO Connection Manager, and it detects the Multilink on USB1. After clicking the Connect button, the Status Window shows "P&E Interface detected - Flash Version 6.15" and "Debugger retrying force to background mode". The Connection Manager comes up again, showing "Can't communicate with the target processor!". I'm using Autodetect for the Target CPU Information, and default values for all other fields.

Thanks,
    -hideki

Comments

• Greetings,

Your device is supported. The yellow LED must be turned on to be able to connect to your device. The yellow indicates power on the MCU. You need to make sure your chip is powered to be able to communicate to it.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for your reply.

The chip is powered - I can communicate with the board though the CAN interface. The circuit board is known to have been debugged in the past using another vendor's hardware. I wanted to try using the Multilink I own.

Will the yellow LED turn on as soon as the target is powered on? That is, before clicking on the Connect button in the Connection Manager?

Thanks,
      -hideki

• Greetings,

The yellow LED will turn on for 2 reasons:
    1) The device has power then it will turn on
    2) The device is NOT powered yet, but if you have a PEmicro interface that can provide power to the target, then when you click connect the power will click on and turn the LED yellow.

So if you are trying to provide power externally and the yellow LED is not turning on, then you need to check your connections to make sure you have a working setup.

Takao Yamada

• For Port-A (14-pin, JTAG/ONCE), does the debug probe sense target power via pin 11? (labeled TVCC in the pinout). I presume I should see voltage on this pin on the target board.

Thanks,
      -hideki

• Greetings,

Yes, the yellow LED is dependent on VCC value on the debug pins.

Takao Yamada

• It turned out the board I was using was bad. After obtaining another one, I was able to get the yellow LED to light up. However, I still couldn't connect with the Multilink. I borrowed a Cyclone and with it I can connect! I suppose it's more tolerant.

Thanks for all your help!

-hideki

• Greetings,

Make sure the multilink has the latest firmware to support the PowerPC NExus architecture. Here is the link to the firmware updater utility you need:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement