Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Preserve internat E2prom on KE02
Josep M. Sep 15, 2017 at 09:13 AM (09:13 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I am working with a Kinetis KE02 with internal memory E2prom and I need to update the program of some boards that were already working while retaining the data that are in the E2prom, but when I record the new program with the Cyclone MAX, I overwrite the data that I have in the E2prom.

How can I do to preserve the data in E2prom that had initially?

Comments

• Greetings,

This is a question asked often. You should have found the answer by doing a search in our forums.

Look into Preserve Range:
    https://www.pemicro.com/blog/index.cfm?post_id=47

Takao Yamada

• Thank you for your response,

I tried to include line "PRESERVE_RANGUE" betwen "NO_BASE_ADDRESS" and "ADDR_RANGUE" in file "freescale_ke02z64m4_pflash_eeprom.arp" but data in eepom is still erased.

NO_BASE_ADDRESS=00000000/
    PRESERVE_RANGE=10000000/100000FF/
    ADDR_RANGE=00000000/0000FFFF/00/FFFFFFF8/FFFFFE00/ ; $00000000-$0000FFFF P-Flash
    ADDR_RANGE=10000000/100000FF/00/FFFFFFF8/FFFFFF00/ ; $10000000-$100000FF D-Flash

what am i doing wrong?

• Greetings,

Within the cyclone max there is a software called PROGACMP. Try using your modified algorithm there and see if you can program the device while preserving the data. If it works there, then we can look into why the image you are creating is not working. If it also does not work there, then we can look into the algorithm why it is not working.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

With PROGACMP I can program the device and data is preserved with both algorithms, the original one and the modified.

With Cyclone both algorithms erase the eeprom.

• Greetings,

THe original algorithm is suppose to erase both the PFLASH and DFLASH. You are suppose to see your EEPROM data not preserved. So I am confused as to why you see the same results with both algorithms. Please redo the test and make sure you see a difference. After running the EM command, use the Show module command to confirm that the memory has been completely erased. Only the modified algorithm should re-program your preserved data back after erasing.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Sorry, in my previous test I forgot to execute the command BM.

Executing first the BM command PROGACMP works well. With the original algorithm erases the data and with the modified it preserves them.

But with Cyclone the eeprom isn't preserved.

• Where I said BM wanted to say EM.

• Greetings,

Are you sure you are using the modified algorithm when creating a new image using image creation utility?

What commands in order are you using in your image? Make sure to remove old images on your cyclone and confirm you have a new image with the modified algorithm. I have tested this before so I have confidence this is supposed to work. Especially if you were able to get it working with PROGACMP.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

I have verified it and I am completely sure that the algorithm file is modified, the same as when I use PROGACMP. In the cyclone I have a single image file and it is the correct one and always erases the data of the eeprom.

Commands for the image file are:

CM C:\.....\Freeacale_ke02z64m4_modified.asp
    SS C:\.....\"hex file"
    EN
    PM
    VC
    SD

"Cyclone Image Creation Utility" Version 5.21.00.00
    Cyclone MAX V7.94-6.2 (firmware)

I tried to do the same with a Cyclone FX (with "Image Creation Utility" version 6.22.00.05) and the result was the same.

Thanks for your help.

Josep Mestre

• Greetings,

Could you create a support ticket by going to Support page -> Support requests and post the algorithm you are using? I want to look at it and also discuss with the cyclone experts to find out why this is not working in standalone. Now is a good time to bring this up because they are in the works to release a new firmware.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement