Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Can't do anything. Completely baffled
. Jun 30, 2017 at 11:37 AM (11:37 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I'm trying to use the Cyclone to program some customer boards. In February I was able to make a SAP file somehow, but now I can't. I can't make it with the original files, or the upgraded files. I can't program the chip with the prog software, either. What I can do is remove and install the original SAP file to the Cyclone I made and get the board to work normally. I have no idea what I did last time to get this to work. I have .abs, .s19. .map, and .phy files to work with, but none of them get the job done. This is for a Freescale_9S12E128_1x16x64k_128k_Linear_16k_page.12P
    Extremely frustrated at this point. Nothing else left to try that I can think of.
    User manual of no help here.

Comments

• Greetings,

I am here to help!

PROG is a great place to start. Are you at least able to enter debug mode and be prompted to select an algorithm? Are you able to run commands like erase module? What error do you get if you attempt to program the PHY file?

Only when we get it working in PROG shall we move forward to getting a new SAP image. Trying to debug a scripted image on a cyclone is impossible to do.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you for your help. I can erase and program with the .phy file. I verified it to be correct through prog. It seems like it doesn't like to be erased immediately after programming, but that's not my issue. If I can get this into the sap format that would be great.

• Apparently I can't program anymore. Prog says it's programmed, but verify fails now. I took the board I was able to program, re-program it, and now verify fails. Also, is it usual to have to stop and re-start the prog software each time you program? It locks up if I don't.

• Greetings,

You should only have to restart PROG if you disconnected the PEmicro hardware interface or the target board.

You need to tell me how verify fails. It typically says an address. Are you seeing that the failure is happening in every byte? Is it at the beginning of flash, or a certain region?

Did your SAP image, that worked without issue, use verification at all?

Takao Yamada

• I do disconnect the target to switch to another board. Too bad there's not a reconnect button. 
      I started all over again, and was successful in programming all the boards, and they verified OK now. This issue seems to be closed now. I don't know what I was doing wrong before.
      The only open issue I have now is making the sap file so I can use the cyclone standalone. I can't see the phy file as a choice in the Image Creation software. I don't think it accepts that type?

• Greetings,

It does accept PHY files. It just is filtered to only show srecord or ELF files. What you can do, and this works on any software not just ours, is to type in *.* into the field when the prompt shows up. This shows all files. Or you can use *.phy to show all of your PHY files.

Takao Yamada

• Well I'll be darned. That's what I did the first time! I thought I had used the phy file, but couldn't remember how I did it. I now have a sap file of the correct size. I wish I still had boards to test, but I'm confident it will work when new boards arrive.
      Thank you very much for your help!

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement