Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
CPROGPPCNEXUS programming elf file
Kfir B. Jun 26, 2017 at 05:01 AM (05:01 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi,

I'm trying to flash 2 elf files, on 2 areas in memory to MPC5748G.
    The elf files have 0x1000 oerlapping area that needs to be reflashed again.

When trying to use CPROGPPCNEXUS I cn only flash 1 elf, the other one gets stuck, status window shows "Programming Address $########" and that's it.

Even "Program Module Range" doesn't work, and I cannot erase a specific range.

I have been told by @Takao Yamada that this can be done.

Please help.

Kfir Ben Shimon

Comments

• Greetings,

If I did tell you how it was done, I would have mentioned about the ECC. You cannot overwrite the same 8-byte blocks. Please read about the ECC in your chip's reference manual to understand why this is due to the silicon, and not a problem with CPROG or PEmicro's hardware interfaces.

There is no way around this issue unless you can pinpoint in your ELF file which 8-byte blocks to avoid and use program range. If the overlapping area is identical in each file, then just have one file avoid it altogether. Otherwise, have the person who compiled the project for you to give you a combined binary file.

Takao Yamada

• You indeed mentioned ECC, but also told me I will be able to delete blocks with EB (Erase Block) in order to avoid the ECC issue with that.

http://www.pemicro.com/forums/forum.cfm?forum_id=8&forum_topic_id=5709#c14699:

""
    You cannot program 2 ELF files in consecutive debug sessions within S32 Power IDE. Each time you start a debug session it will erase the entire flash. It is not meant to be a flash programming software.

We sell our software utilities that gives you more control of how you flash program the device. You can look into our PROG for PPCNEXUS software where you can attempt to flash program both ELF files:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320089
    ""

We have bought the CPROGPPCNEXUS for that purpose only, according to your advice.
    We really need help in order to do so.

• Greetings,

I did not mention the use of EB (Erase block) because it is currently not supported. I said you would have to erase the block to be able to write a new value. The best approach you have is to use program range.

I still do not understand this overlapping area. Is it identical in both files? Or do you actually need data from both files to be written? The latter cannot be done unless you can specifically program-range specific 8-byte blocks to be written from each file.

I need more information about this overlapping area to really help you.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks very much for the help, 
      Is there a possibility to do it by mail? I would rather not disclose private information.

• Greetings,

Go to Support page -> Support requests and create a ticket. Mention both forum threads for reference. I will pick it up. But I will not be analyzing your ELF files myself. That is not my job.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement