Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
[OpenSDA][FRDM-KL02Z] P&EMicro drivers not recognized by Windows 7 x64 SP1
Charles W. Jun 13, 2017 at 01:52 PM (13:52 hours)
Staff: Kevin M.

• NXP/Freescale support was unable to resolve my issue so I have come here.

I am attempting to debug a FRDM-KL02Z board via OpenSDA on a Windows 7 x64 SP1 computer. The behavior is as follows:

1) I hold RESET and plug in the USB. The board powers, the LED blinks on/off@ 500ms, and BOOTLOADER(E:) is detected by the computer.

2) I drag the 'DEBUG-APP_Pemicro_v108.SDA' file onto BOOTLOADER(E:) and the file copies successfully. The file 'LASTSTAT.TXT' says "Completed." and 'SDA_INFO.HTM' says:
    Board Name is: FRDM-KL02Z
    MicroBoot Kernel Version is: 1.05
    Bootloader Version is: 1.11
    Installed Application: PEMicro Debug App
    Application Version is: 1.08

3) I replug the USB cable without holding RESET and this time the LED is off. In the Windows 'Device Manager', a new entry appears under 'Other devices' called "OpenSDA Hardware". It has a warning that says:
    The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
    There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.
    To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

4) 'Update Driver' fails when in automatic mode. I can manually install the drivers from 'PEDrivers_install.exe' and update 'OpenSDA Hardware' to 'OpenSDA - CDC Serial Port (http://www/pemicro.com/opensda)', but I get an error before that says:
    "Installing this device driver is not recommended because windows cannot
    verify that it is compatible with your current hardware... Do you want to
    continue?"

5) I continue and the driver is installed without further errors. The green LED on the board immediately turns on and stays solid. The 'Device Manager' entry is now moved under 'Ports (COM&LPT)' and is called 'OpenSDA - CDC Serial Port (http://www.pemicro.com/opensda) (COM8)'. There is no warning. The 'Driver assembly version' is 1.1.2600.1

6) I open open the Freescale IDE 'Kinetis Design Studio' to check to see if the debug connection is actually open, but under Debug Configurations>Debugger>PEMicro Interface Settings>Port: there is nothing available.

This has been my experience on this computer/microcontroller for the past few weeks. I have flashed all of the other PEMicro debug .SDA/.BIN files and those have failed to work (as expected). I have tried all of the USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports, with and without a USB2.0 hub.
    I know that this board works because, on other computers, the drivers are automatically detected and the connection to Kinetis Design Studio works for debugging. However, it is necessary for me to have it working on the specific computer that it fails on.

I hope that you can help me solve this issue.

Comments

• Hi Charles, 

When you plugin the OpenSDA board into your PC and the LEDs go on, please go to device manager and let me know if the device shows up under Jungo tab as PEMicro OpenSDA Debug Driver.

Please download the latest collection of OpenSDA applications from www.pemicro.com/OpenSDA and try updating to MSD-DEBUG-FRDM-KL02Z_Pemicro_v118.SDA which includes all 3 DEBUG/MSD/CDC virtual serial port features.

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

• Hi Zahar, 

I updated to FRDM-KL02Z_Pemicro_v118.SDA. Here is the SDA_INFO.HTM:
      Board Name is: FRDM-KL02Z
      MicroBoot Kernel Version is: 1.05
      Bootloader Version is: 1.11
      Installed Application: PEMicro FRDM-KL02Z Mass Storage/Debug App
      Application Version is: 1.18

The driver that I had was under the category: Ports (COM&LPT)
      I have now changed the driver to Jungo Connectivity: PEMicro OpenSDA Debug Driver

Neither driver works though. I still have no options to choose the board when connecting in Kinetis DS.

Note: With the new .SDA, even though you say MSD is included, there is no portable drive that shows up on the computer.

Do you have any other ideas?

• Hi Charles, 

Can you please double check to make sure that you are running the latest P&E USB drivers? Please go to device manager -> Jungo Tab -> Right click on PEMicro OpenSDA Debug Driver and go to driver details. It should be version 12.x.

The latest P&E driver package can be downloaded from the following location:

http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=53

When you go to KDS -> Debug Configurations -> Debugger tab do you select OpenSDA Embedded Debug -USB Port from under Interface selection?

Do no interfaces show up under the Port drop down dialog selection?

What version of P&E plugin are you currently working with? You can find it out by going to Help -> About Kinetis Design Studio -> Installation Details -> GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support.

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

• Zahar,

From the Driver Properties Window:
      PEMicro OpenSDA Debug Driver
      Driver Provider: Jungo LTD.
      Driver Date: 10/26/2015
      > Driver Version: 12.2.0.0
      Digital Signer: P&E Microcomputer Systems, Inc.

From the KDS GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support:
      > 2.9.9.201705152038

And yes, for PEMicro Interface Settings,
      Interface: OpenSDA Embedded Debug - USB Port
      > Port: [blank](no options)

It is blank even after refreshing after changing the device target to:
      KL02Z32M4
      KL02Z16M4
      Kl02Z8M4

What further steps do you suggest?
      Thank you,
      Charles W.

• An update:

I didn't notice that there was an update for the installation you mentioned.
      The new version after update is 3.0.3.2017060082119

Unfortunately, the behavior is the exact same.
      I have restarted KDS and replugged the board.

• Hi Charles, 

Can you please go to the location of where P&E plugin is installed within KDS3.x IDE: C:\nxp\KDS_3.2.0\eclipse\plugins\com.pemicro.debug.gdbjtag.pne.expansion_3.0.3.201706082119\win32

Please run the following command to see if our GDB server detects the actual OpenSDA interface: pegdbserver_console.exe -showhardware

This should give us a better idea of the layer at which the problem occurs.

Best Regards,
    Zahar
    P&E

• Zahar,

I believe this is what you are asking for:

https://ultracomm-my.sharepoint.com/personal/cwong_ultracomm-inc_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?folderid=04259e15a615f4c08bfc2351452b99dfe&authkey=AY6AruTbjSt3FMNyfrgloRo

The file directory was slightly different, but I assured that I am running the correct version of Kinetis

• Hi Charles,

I will be helping out on this request going forward.

I would like to remote into your machine and look around.

Once we find a solution I will post the resolution for the public and others having this problem to see.

I will send you an email.

Best,

Kevin

• [SOLUTION]

I'm glad to report that there is an easy fix for this issue.
    URL: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-x64-is-searching-preconfigured-folders/31585101-c370-40bf-a764-516b869ecb25

Basically, it was an issue with my Windows installation rather than the PEMicro drivers or the NXP hardware.

I copied the entire DriverStore\FileRepository directory from a working PC and then the drivers automatically enumerated and installed.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement