Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
MCF5282 with 2x S29AL032D70TFI03
Jim B. May 11, 2017 at 06:25 PM (18:25 hours)
Staff: Mikhail A.

• Hello,

I have the a device I am trying to program with a MCF5282 and two S29AL032D70TFI03 external flash ICs. So far I have not had much luck. I think my issue may be identifying the correct algorithm to access the external flash?

The connections are:

MCU A2-A22 -> EXTFLASH A0-A20 (both ICs)
    MCU D0-D15 -> EXTFLASH DQ0-DQ15 (IC1)
    MCU D16-D31 -> EXTFLASH DQ0-DQ15 (IC2)
    MCU CS0 -> EXTFLASH /CE (both ICs)
    MCU OE -> EXTFLASH /OE (both ICs)
    MCU R/W -> EXTFLASH /WE (both ICs)

I am using a Cyclone Max v7.94-6.2.

I have several code modules to load, but in the interest of trying to get my programming setup working I have cut my SAP image down to a startup module that resides in internal flash @00000000 and a bootloader that resides in external flash @FF000000.

I have tried both progcfz_cyclone.exe and creating a SAP image loaded onto the Cyclone Max and I seem to be having similar problems either way. I seem to be able to erase and write to the internal flash without any problems (I think), but when it hits the EM command on the external flash it just stays there. This morning progcfz still said "erasing" when I arrived this morning after I had entered the command last night before leaving, today when I tried the standalone image the screen stayed on "Executing...... Erase Module..." for a couple of hours.

The last SAP file I tried used the following CFG:

CM C:\PEMicro\cyclone_max\supportFiles_CF\5282_512k.CFP 00000000
    SS STARTUP.S19
    EM ;Erase Module
    PM ;Program Module
    VM ;Verify Module
    CM C:\PEMicro\cyclone_max\supportFiles_CF\External Flash Algorithms\Spansion_29AL032D_03_2x16x2meg.CFP FF000000
    EM ;Erase Module
    SS BOOTLOADER.S19
    PM ;Program Module
    VM ;Verify Module

Comments

• Dear Jim,

Are you still experiencing this issue?

Regards,
    Mikhail
    PEMicro

• Yes, this has still been a problem.

• Dear Jim,

Can you try just programming the external flash? Basically just take out the first chunk of programming and run the second half of your SAP image. I would like to make sure this isn't some arbitrary behavior of the programmer for switching algorithms.

Regards,
    Mikhail
    PEMicro

• Dear Jim,

Have you had any luck with just programming the external flash?

Regards,
    Mikhail
    PEMicro

• Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to try again as I am currently juggling several projects.

I will attempt it as soon as I can.

• I have reduced the SAP image to the following commands:

CM C:\PEMicro\cyclone_max\supportFiles_CF\External Flash Algorithms\Spansion_29AL032D_03_2x16x2meg.CFP FF000000
      SS BOOTLOADER.S19
      EM ;Erase Module
      PM ;Program Module
      VM ;Verify Module

It still does not appear to work. It's hanging at the EM command.

I also tried connecting an oscilloscope to the CS0 pin and I am not seeing any activity.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement