Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Takao Yamada Blog: High-Speed Programming For Power Architecture MPC5xxx/SPC5xxx Devices
Duane M. Feb 27, 2017 at 01:12 PM (13:12 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I just saw Takao's blog post about the high-speed programming option for MPC5xxx 

http://www.pemicro.com/blog/index.cfm?post_id=116

and I have a question about trying out the high-speed programming option. I have a license for PROGPPCNEXUS using the USB Multilink Universal. I'm wondering if I can download a software update to try-out this high-speed functionality.

My PROGPPCNEXUS says version 5.93.00.00 (2012). I see that software download for USB Multilink Universal (and FX) Resource CD indicates: "Now updated for USB Multilink Universal Rev C."

http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

So my questions is, if I download this software, will I be able to try-out and test the high-pseed programming options for MPC5xxx using the USB Multilink Universal?

FYI: I'm not currently using S32 Power IDE. I've been using CodeWarrior for MCU (Eclipse) for MPC5604P and also PROGPPCNEXUS to flash a MPC5602B device.

Comments

• I found:

Downloads
       Algorithms for NXP Qorivva, Internal Flash (886 KB)
    Algorithms for NXP Qorivva, Internal Flash (.zip)
       Algorithms for NXP Qorivva, External Flash (4476 KB)
    Algorithms for NXP Qorivva, External Flash (.zip)

At:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320089&productTab=3

Maybe I just need to update the algorithsm in the follower at:
    C:\pemicro\PKGPPCNEXUSSTARTER\Algorithms?

Will this allow me to test the high-speed algorithms discussed in the blog?

• Greetings,

Thank you for reading my blog post! I will do my best to answer your questions.

You must have both software and algorithm updates to make this work. The resource CD for multilink has nothing to do with this boost in performance. There is no new firmware in multilink needed to get this working.

What you can do is download our 64KB trial edition of our software for PPCNEXUS because you will need at minimum version 6.22 of the PROG software for this to work. This download already gives you the latest algorithms:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=194

Note, this software is limited download up to 64KB which I believe MPC5602B has about that much in internal flash. If your binary file programs more than 64KB then you must have a full version of the software. We do not do any time-limited trial software.

To really experience the benefit of the performance, you will need to program much more than 64KB. The examples in my blog post has more than 3MB of internal flash. Also note that the performance boost mentioned in the blog is mostly in the FX-version of the hardware. If you do not have the FX version, you will find some increase in performance but not 50% to 100% increase. I measured about 20% increase. There are hardware limitations on the multilink universal that does not have the full capacity to pipeline the programming like the multilink universal FX hardware.

Lastly, you will not see much of a performance increase on the MPC5602x devices. These devices have limited Nexus Class 1 protocol that does not allow for fast flash programming. Even the FX-version of hardware is bottlenecked by this protocol that is internal to the chip's core. So your MPC5602B will most likely see no improvement, but your MPC5604P will.

Our software upgrade policy is you get free updates within a year of purchase. Within 2 years you can get a 50% discount on upgrades. If you believe you are entitled to a discount, please create a support ticket for me and we can look into this together. DO NOT disclose your license information here on the public forums to prevent anyone from stealing your license.

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

Great. Thanks. I have a license to the full-version for the 256KB flash MPC5602B and we've been thinking about testing the Universal MultiLink FX to see what kind of performance gains could be made. Thanks for the feedback. I'll check it out.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement