Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
USB-ML_12
Carlo M. Feb 17, 2017 at 08:09 AM (08:09 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi,

I am trying to repair three USB Multilink interface (USB-ML-12, PCB PE1717 C.1) broken during normal use in production (probably they had broken due to a improper voltage difference between target and USB port).
    I think the microcontroller (MC9S12UF32PUE)is broken because it becames hot when the interface is connected to PC and moreover the USB device is not detected.
    Unfortunately this interface is not longer available on market and I need just this because for the moment it is the only one compatible with our programming system.
    So I purchased three new microcontrollers (very hard to find on the market) and I have replaced the component of one interface.
    However now, to make the interface working again, I need the firmware to initialize the new microcontroller.
    Is it possible to have it?
    Thanks in advance
    (Sorry for my bad english)

Carlo

Comments

• Greetings,

You should ask us first before making modifications on the multilink. You have no way of programming the firmware onto the multilinks. A blank chip has no bootloader to load a firmware. We have proprietary fixtures to program all of our hardware. You also do not know if the UF32 is the only damage on the multilink.

We do have hardware interfaces that replaces the USB ML 12, like the multilink universal:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320137

This newer hardware will work with no problem with your setup.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks Mr. Yamada for your reply,

I know that blank chip has no bootloader, it is in fact the object of my request.
    May be that UF32 is not the only component damaged by I have already replaced / removed the other components and I'm quite sure that microcontroller is broken (I'm using Freescale microcontrollers since 25 years).
    I have also already purchased a Multilink Universal interface and a Multilink Universal FX too but both are not compatible with our "old" programming system (Windows XP, etc.), so after breaking the last USB-ML-12 interface I have some issues.
    On the other hand it is unthinkable that I send you the faulty interfaces to be repaired as it would not be affordable in terms of time and cost (I'm from Italy).
    So the only solution I see is to repair the devices by myself or to find something 100% compatible on the market.
    I know that the firmware is proprietary but hoped, for a discontinued product, it was possible to have the bootloading firmware.

Carlo Magro

• Greetings,

I agree that shipping the multilinks for repair or replacement will not be cost effective.

What we should do is help you get your newer hardware interfaces compatible with software, drivers, and operating system. Trying to get old hardware working is only a workaround and eventually you will need to resolve the incompatibility issue.

Which software are you using? I can help you decide what is the best option for you.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

For example to program some cards on which is installed the MCU MC9S08SH8, we use the debugger Codewarrior 6.1.
    However in this case, using the Multilink Universal, you will have two effects: 1) The system erroneously recognizes an old firmware version and reprograms the Multilink interface that is already updated (we use it with Kinetis Development Studio that after reprograms the interface again).
    2) The PEMICRO Connection Manager Windows appears, the HCS08 processor is detected, no errors are showed but, pushing on "Connect (RESET)", system says: Error, can not enter backgroud mode".

We have similar problems with other cases.

What a pity we can't repair the old USB-ML-12.

Carlo Magro

• Greetings,

For Codewarrior, use my patch to update the DLLs and firmwares and you should have no more problems:
    http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211&menu_id=faqs

Is Codewarrior the only software? Do you have any of our PROG or ICD software?

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

thank you for your reply, we have already saw the patch but it is written: "NOTE: If using Codewarrior 6.2, this patch will not work. It must be version CW6.3".
    The Codewarrior version we are using is 6.1

We use other software during production but I should check what they are exactly. May be hiwave and other old P&E application as PROGHCS08 but now I don't remember exactly because to program some microcontrollers we use also the Cyclone.

Carlo Magro

• Greetings,

Is upgrading to CW6.3 out of the question? Is it a hard requirement that you use CW6.1?

If you use PROGHCS08 with the multilinks, then you may need to purchase a new software license to get the software working properly. This depends on the version you have.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

as you understand, the solution of updates is not the easiest way, I think it would be much easier to repair the interfaces we have used so far.
    Okay, if It is not possible to have the bootloader I'll try a different solution to solve the issues.

Regards,

Carlo Magro

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement