Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
cyclone pro programming issue to coldfire V1 target through 6 pin BDM connector.
arjit n. Feb 8, 2017 at 05:22 AM (05:22 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I am programming mcf51em256 core using a cyclone pro through image creation utility.  I am using the 6 pin BDM connector to connect to target. While checking the voltage level at Vdd(pin6), i am getting 0 volts wrt GND(pin2). It should be 3 volts in my use case. Is this an issue related to cyclone pro electomechanical relays as i am frequently using this cyclone pro programmer from past 2 years. What is the life expectancy of the relays? 
    Please guide me in this issue.

Comments

• Greetings,

I am under the assumption you are trying to power your target board using internal power of the cyclone.

1) Did you make sure to enable the feature to supply voltage to the target board in the SAP image you created for the cyclone?

2) Did you check the jumper settings on the cyclone to see if it is set up for 6-pin BDM?

3) Do you hear the relays clicking?

4) Do you have any shorts between VDD and GND? Use an ohmmeter and check to make sure you do not have a bad connection.

5) Did you make sure to match pin 1 on the 6-pin header on the board and on the cyclone?

6) Lastly, check the ribbon cable. The cable is the weakest link in your hardware setup and can fail over time due to stress and bendy nature of the cable. Try replacing the cable and see if things workout.

Takao Yamada

• thanks for reply,
    yes, i am using internal power of cyclone to power up my target.

I am loading the file in cyclone using USB, there is no issue in loading the file. It is loading in cyclone. While loading, in image creation utility, target voltage and power settings, use of cyclone pro relays is enabled and target voltage setting is done 3v.

Jumper settings are checked. the middle three jumpers are shorted as per cyclone user manual.

Relay clicking voice is heard every time i power up or power down the cyclone.

voltage levels i recorded are BKGD(0.05VDC), RESET(0.05VDC), and Vdd(0.0VDC) wrt to pin2(GND, as the supply is not there, programme is not done.

when i press 'Start' button on cyclone to load program in core, then relay sound comes and 'power', 'standby' and 'Error' led's are glown and Error $00000007 is shown on cyclone display. Now in this condition, voltage values at various pins are :- BKGD(3VDC), RESET(1.8VDC), and Vdd(3VDC) wrt GND.

I do not have any shorting b/w VDD and GND, as i measured R in b/w these pins, i got 98.49Ohm value is coming in multimeter and no shorting is shown.

I gone through cyclone pro user manual and identifies the pins correctly.

I have replaced the cables and checked, it is not working even then.
    The same cable is working on other programmer. So no issue of ribbon cable.

I have provided you some data and other voltage readings for your reference.
    Please tell me if you want to know anything else, i am ready to help you.

I was emphasizing on cyclone relays because, i was working with this cyclone pro for the past two years and done programming many times. What if its life expectancy limit is over?

I think because the supply VDD is not there, thats why the program is not done. and the supply is coming through relay, so may be issue is of relay. Relay voice is coming. Every time i power up /power down/ do program and error comes, relay voice comes.

Please guide and tell me anything more you wanted to know.

• Greetings,

You indicated that when you push the button, the relays turn on and you do measure 3VDC on VDD. Is this correct? If that is the case, then you do have power even though you reach error $0007. In this case, VDD is not the problem and we should look into BKGD and RESET lines for the cause of this issue. The 1.8V on Reset is suspicious. This should also be 3V.

Takao Yamada

• Hello, 
      What should be done in this case?
      How can I control RESET pin or its voltage.
      And it is the case when error comes.
      In normal case, why there is no voltage on Vdd.

• Greetings,

The reset should not be floating at 1.8V, so what I would try is adding a pull-up resistor of 10KOhm on the reset line. See if that resolves that problem.

What do you mean normal case? The power turns on only after you press the button. And you were able to measure the 3V. When you power up the cyclone without pushing the button, VDD should be zero.

Takao Yamada

• ok ..i need to check cyclone hardware for this.
      additionally can you told me, that what is the reason behind this 1.8v level at reset pin instead of 3v. or are there any cases which i need to take care while handling cyclone in future to avoid such issues.

further i need to know about other cyclone issue.
      I have a seperate cyclone pro having the same type of programming issue with error $0007. But in this Cyclone, When i press Start button, then no relay voice comes, power led also does not glow, only standby and error led glows, $0007 error shown on display.
      Voltage levels are also zero at each point(BKGD, VDD, RESET wrt GND.
      Relay clicking sound comes at on-off, but does not come at the time of programming.
      Please guide.

• Greetings,

For the cyclone not providing power to your target, please try using the PROG for CFV1 software found in your cyclone pro software package. Set the checkbox for providing power to target and have the 3 jumper settings in the right location.

The floating 1.8V is also typically not a cyclone problem. It is usually a target board issue. But there are times where the buffers inside the cyclone can get damaged and no longer can pull down or let go of the reset line. Try the pull-up resistor to see if it will fix it.

If you cannot fix the problem, I can create an RMA ticket so that you can send the units to us for repair/replacement. But that does cost money and I am trying to help you resolve the issue without having to send the units to us.

Takao Yamada

• One of the cyclones, i put a 10KOhm pull up on reset button and it started working. Thank you very much for your help.

Other cyclone which was not providing power to target, did not have the three jumpers. Now i have put the three jumpers, then Vdd=3v is coming.
      But Reset is at 1.8v and BKGD is not fixed, its varying.
      I have applied the same pull up concept at both reset and bkgd pins, but still this cyclone is not working.
      After pull up 3vdc is coming on all vdd, bkgd and reset pins wrt gnd pin.

• 'reset button' should be read as 'reset pin' in above comment.

• In one of the other cyclone, i have heating issue. 
    When i power it up and program, then VDD is 5.21 volts, even if in 'Target voltage and power settings' i have selected target voltage as 3 Volts.
    'RESET' pin has 6.22VDC, and BKGD has 0 volts. Error $0002 comes on LCD display.
    It becomes heated even in 1 minute of power up. Really heated at lower side near the below led's.

Heating is there, even if i power it up, and do not program.
    In this case voltage is coming on the pins, ideally it should be zero, without pressing start button.
    Voltage levels are VDD=1.82VDC, RESET=4.81VDC, and BKGD=0VDC wrt GND.

Guidance required...

• Greetings,

If your cyclone is getting hot, there is definitely an internal problem and you should NOT use it. You need to send the unit to us for repair or replacement. If you wish to do so, please let me know and I can create an RMA ticket for you. But you need to fill in your P&E account with your contact information before we can proceed. DO NOT reply with your contact information here on the public forums.

Takao Yamada

• Please also suggest on Comment #6.1

• Greetings,

Within the image creation utility, when you create an image try changing the voltage to 3.3V instead of 3.0V. You can type in the value instead of selecting from the dropdown options. See if that improves your connection.

Takao Yamada

• Actually, only drop down values are being selected. No way to enter any other value other then drop down list values (2V, 3V and 5V).
    My cyclone image creation utility version is 3.39

• Greetings,

Install the latest version of our software from our website:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=291

Takao Yamada

• installed latest version and programme by target voltage as 3.3V, still it is not working.

• Greetings,

And you tried using the PROG software to see if the cyclone can talk to the target? If so, try also replacing the ribbon cable. If all of that still does not work then I would also send this cyclone for repair/replacement.

Takao Yamada

• OK, thanks for your support.
    I'll discuss repair/replacement issue with senior team and let you know about this.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement