Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Multilink Universal FX -USB / Target MC68HC16Z1/PROG16Z/Win 7
Heiko G. Dec 22, 2016 at 09:59 AM (09:59 hours)
Staff: Johnny N.

• Hello,

we recently bought this new programmer + software.The programmer is not connecting to the target. We are using PROG16Z. When connecting to the device, RESET pin is driven low. Short spikes at a rate of about 60µs appear on the RESET line, there is no communication visible on the SPI clk and data pins.
    When connecting our old parallel programmer (PE CABLE16/32) to the same target, everthing is working as expected. Are we missing something or is the programmer most likely dead?

Kind regards
    Heiko

Comments

• Hello again,

today I was informed about the solution to get the programmer running by a client of us!
      I'd wish you could have told me this instead as this is your product - this is quite a bit poor.
      Well the solution is to solder a 4k7 resistor to JP3 (PORT A) to the pins 9 & 11. I guess there is a kind of ringing or similar which is improved now.

kind regards
      Heiko

• Heiko,

The Multilink Universal FX communicates at a much higher frequency than the Cable 16/32. You should try lowering it. When you run the application, the first window that appears is the Connection Manager. The Connection Manager has an option called Debug Shift Speed. Change this option to 31 which is the slowest frequency for the FX. Then try connecting to the device again.

Regards,
    Johnny
    P&E

• Dear Johnny,

thank you for your fast response.
      However, I was aware of that option which did not lead to success. I also applied 10 ms Delay after Reset- no change. The internal Bus frequency for programm is on auto detect.
      Just for information : the ML FX got revision B (PEMF56F63)

After powering the Target, the RESET- Line is High, if pressing the button "Connect"(Reset), the Line goes to L with the short repeating spikes to H in a about 75µs periode. The Debug- Shift speed does not have any influence on the periode of these pulses.
      So I assume a defective part here. How to deal with a warranty exchange? We bougth the programmer via a distributer. Should we contact them or do you handle the warranty exchange?

kind regards
      Heiko

• Just some further details:

pullup on the RESET line is 10k
      The Target is connected to connector H as reqired
      yellow VCC indicating LED goes on
      When trying to connect, the BERR is strobing for a while not sure if that is for any importance...

• Hello Johnny,

back from Christmas vacation I'm still waiting for an answer/advice, how to deal with the not working Multilink universal FX.
      Or may be you have any other hints what to check. Again: our old parallel programmer (PE CABLE16/32) does the job, not so the new USB-type. We need a solution urgently.

kind regards
      Heiko

• Please download our Universal Multilink Firmware Updater utility.
        http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

In the utility, you should see "Multilink Universak FX Rev B (PExxxxxx) (HC16/683xx Configuration) next to "2. Select Device:"

In order to use the Background Debug Mode of the microcontroller, it must be initialized coming out of reset. This is accomplished by the PROG16Z software on the host PC by generating a specific reset sequence. VDD should be between 2 to 5V and reset should be approximately at VDD when High.

1. BKPT/DSCLK is pulled low. (to processor)

2. Delay ~1ms.

3. RESET is pulled low. (to processor)

4. Delay ~20ms.

5. RESET is released (tri state, should be pulled up on target).

6. Wait for FREEZE (out of processor).

7. Shifting activity appears on DSCLK, DSI and DSO.

Note that if FREEZE is not returned(High) from the processor, then it did not enter the Background Debug Mode.

• Hello Johnny,

we actually want to programm the target only. There is no need for debugging.
          The Programmer is not able to connect to the target at all on the first step.
          How ever we made a firmware upgrade on the FX already with the provided software but will recheck with your link.

The target is a MC68HC16Z1CEH16. I hope the Multilink can support this, from the datasheet it looked like this.

Meanwhile we also returned the device to our distributer a asked for a replacement. So will see if that will help too.

kind regards
          Heiko

• We enter debug mode for programming too so you will sill see the previous reset sequence as we attempt to communicate with the MCU. Please let me know if the replacement unit resolves your issue or not.

• Hi again,

so the exchange unit did not work too :-(

Johnny, I think we have to go back to the beginning and check for every detail. This all is very bad. We relied on the data sheet saying this will work with the target controller. The project behind (a new testing equipment for this older hardware) is already on the way and there was spend quite a bit of money for this already. We have to get this working somehow. Is it possible to email you some screenshoots, pics and a part of the target schematic so that you could review the situtation?

kind regards
              Heiko

• Heiko,

Yes, please submit a support ticket on our website and attach your screenshots, pics, and schematics.

Go to http://www.pemicro.com/support/index.cfm -> Support Requests -> Report a Product Bug or Problem

I will review the details. The USB-ML-UNIVERSAL-FX is compatible with the the HC16 architecture. We primarily do our testing on the X and Y devices but some of our customers use the Z1.

If we cannot resolve the issue online, do you think you can send us a board?

Regards,
                Johnny
                PEmicro

• Hello Johnny,

the problem was solved, please note comment #1.1 above !

kind regards
                  Heiko

today I was informed about the solution to get the programmer running by a client of us!
                  I'd wish you could have told me this instead as this is your product - this is quite a bit poor.
                  Well the solution is to solder a 4k7 resistor to JP3 (PORT A) to the pins 9 & 11. I guess there is a kind of ringing or similar which is improved now.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement