Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
P&E Multilink has lost reset to target function
Donald P. Dec 21, 2016 at 12:59 PM (12:59 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Using CW 6.3 and P&E Multilink Universal for 6 years on same board now seems to have lost the ability to pull the reset line low to enter debug mode or flash memory.  MCU is 9S08QG8.  Was working, and then it was not.  Have been looking for setting I may have inadvertently changed but can find no settings.

Comments

• Greetings,

If you have Codewarrior, then you can easily create a brand new project for the QG8 and without making any changes to settings try debugging the project. If it works, then you know some setting in your 6-year-old project was changed and you can compare/contrast. But if the blank new project does not work, then you may have a hardware problem. Hardware does go bad over time and you may need to repair or replace it.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

Thank you for your quick response. New project gave me no good news. I will say that while flailing about for clues I was able to unreliably at times get a proper reset sequence but was not able to do this with any predictability.

This failure happened when I had a perfectly functioning MCU/Program and decided to change it. The change did not work and then I could not connect to anything.

Is there any point to sending this back for testing or do you think I would be better off to purchase a new one. I would hate to purchase a new one and have the same problem if the problem is not in the P&E device.

Thank you for your time,
    Merry Christmas
    Don Pierman

• Greetings,

If you are in the great USA, then shipping it to us for repair/replacement may be a cheaper solution than buying new. However, note that you would need to be patient because you need to wait for the unit to ship to us, repair it, then shipping it back to you. If time is short, you are better off buying a new unit so we can immediately ship that to you. Plus I highly advise always having a backup to prevent this kind of problem from happening again. If you would like to send your unit to us, please let me know so I can create an RMA ticket for you. You can buy a new unit on our website with a credit card.

Takao Yamada

• Takao, thank you for your time.

I did order a replacement which will be here this week. The new one will let me know if the original one is bad or not. If the new one solves the problem then I will send the old one for repair and then have a spare. If the problem persists then I will have to do some digging for the solution and still have a spare.

In Codewarrior True time simulator / help / about / Extended information I found the following:

Web: <http://www.codewarrior.com>;
    LM_LICENSE_FILE=
    License File: C:\Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers V6.3\license.dat
    Application FLEXlm License Version: 2.000, 8.4a
    Vendor daemon: metrowks
    ETHERNET=00188b2412f5
    HOSTNAME=CodeWarrior
    DISK_SERIAL_NUM=88fb64eb
    HI405294 (metrowks, 6.000): HC08 ANSI-C Debug (HC08, limited by feature: 32768 bytes of code, Single User License, ANY, UNREGISTERED)
    HI405295 (metrowks, 6.000): HC08 C++ Debug (HC08, checkout failed, demo mode: 1024 bytes of code, running in demo mode(-5), UNREGISTERED)
    No such feature exists
    Feature: HI405295
    License path: C:\Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers -
    V6.3\license.dat
    FLEXlm error: -5,357
    For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual,
    available at "www.macrovision.com";.

Additional license information for all tools in the same directory as the executable:

File name: C:\Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers V6.3\prog\chc08.dll
    HI100100 (metrowks, 5.000): 5.000f HC08 Compiler ANSI-C (Single User License, ANY, UNREGISTERED)
    HI100120 (metrowks, 5.000): 5.000f HC08 Compiler C++ Extension (running in demo mode(-5), UNREGISTERED)
    No such feature exists
    Feature: HI100120
    V6.3\license.dat
    HI100130 (metrowks, 5.000): 5.000f HC08 Encryption (running in demo mode(-5), UNREGISTERED)
    No such feature exists
    Feature: HI100130
    V6.3\license.dat
    HI100131 (metrowks, 5.000): 5.000f HC08 Encryption BSU (running in demo mode(-5), UNREGISTERED)
    No such feature exists
    Feature: HI100131
    V6.3\license.dat
    File name: C:\Program Files\Freescale\CodeWarrior for Microcontrollers V6.3\prog\chc08.exe
    HI100100 (metrowks, 5.000): 5.000f HC08 Compiler ANSI-C (Single User License, ANY, UNREGISTERED)
    HI100120 (metrowks, 5.000): 5.000f HC08 Compiler C++ Extension (running in demo mode(-5), UNREGISTERED)
    No such feature exists
    Feature: HI100120
    V6.3\license.dat
    HI100130 (metrowks, 5.000): 5.000f HC08 Encryption (running in demo mode(-5), UNREGISTERED)
    No such feature exists
    Feature: HI100130
    V6.3\license.dat
    For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User

This is the free version of Codewarrior. I wonder if the above is an indication of a licensing issue?

• Greetings,

I am the wrong person to ask about Freescale licensing. Please contact Freescale/NXP to find out if you have a registered license for Codewarrior.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

Thank you for your time. Turns out there is nothing wrong. I was doing something wrong. At least I have a backup Multilink.

Don

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement