Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
USB Multilink Universal Rev C does not allow firmware upgrade.
Todd K. Dec 15, 2016 at 03:06 PM (15:06 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I just purchased a brand new USB Multilink Universal, Rev. C from P&E Micro.  I am trying to use it with a ColdFire V2 processor (MCF52259).

I start the "Multilink/Osbdm Firmware Update and Architecture Selection Utility - Version 1.09". For item (1), I select "Multilinbk Univseral - Low cost Debug Interface". For item (2), the information shown is "Multilink Universal Rev C {RS08, S08, S12(X)(Z), ColdFire+ V1 Configuration)". For item (3), I select "ColdFire V234". For item (4), I tried the "Automatic" option, where the selected file was "usbmlfs20cfens.603".

When I press the "Update Firmware", a dialog appears labeled "Updating Firmware of P&E Interface". The dialog then shows the selected firmware update selection (usbmlfs20cfens.603) and the message "Booting multilink to original firmware (please wait)...". The next message displayed is "Success. Version is 14564". The next message displayed is not there long enough to read, and is quickly replaced by "Erasing MCU firmware "update" block...". Then, this dialog disappears, and a "Warning" dialog appears with the message "Flash Erase Failed. Result = $8882 Firmware update failed. Retry?"

What is happening here and how do I get the firmware updated/replaced so that I use this Multilink Universal with my ColdFire V2 processor?

Comments

• Greetings,

Make sure you are using the latest firmware updater utility that came with the multilink. From the steps you have described, it sounds like you used an older firmware updater utility that was made for older multilinks.

Use the latest resource CD and try again. If you have misplaced your resource CD, you can get it here:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=346

Takao Yamada

• Takao,

Thanks for your response. I have figured out what my problem was. I downloaded and installed a firmware updater from the PE web site without knowing that the firmware updater was part of the download that you had referenced (and which I had already downloaded and installed).

So I ended up with two firmware updaters, one in "C:\PEMicro\firmware_updater" and one in "C:\PEMicro\multilink-universal". I had been trying to use the one in "C:\PEMicro\firmware_updater", and once I realized I had two versions, I used the one in "C:\PEMicro\multilink-universal" and the update went fine.

Thanks for your help. We can consider this issue closed.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement