Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
UNITPPCNEXUS load_srec_file performance
Hugo C. Nov 1, 2016 at 11:44 AM (11:44 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,

I am loading a program with UNITPPCNEXUS that take more time than from ICDPPCNEXUS.

Environment:
    - Multilink universal FX at setup speed 2
    - UNITPPXNEXUS version 5.52
    - MPC5676R target

The load_srec_file is called from a Python Script but I did not suspect the Python performance.

SRECORD file size: 1.88MB

The download time:
    - UNITPPCNEXUS: 37 seconds
    - ICDPPCNEXUS: 2.5 seconds

Do you have some guideline to improve performance or a internal DLL with better settings ?

It is a kind of difficult to explain why the two tools are from you with that differences of performance.

Thanks,
    Hugo

script is called from
    to execute with ICDPPCNEXUS on a MPC5676R with the MPC567XADAT516 daughter board.

Comments

• Greetings,

Are you trying to load into RAM or flash? Note, that UNIT PPCNEXUS only does RAM loading, while ICDPPCNEXUS can load into both RAM and Flash. I just want to make sure you are actually comparing apples to apples.

At that kind of speed, it is probably loading using non-nexus writes and reads.

Takao Yamada

• I am loading in RAM on both sides.

I am using a JTAG connector. Do you mean, that it should goes faster with the NEXUS ?

• Greetings,

No no, there is something called Nexus read and Nexus write, which can be done via the JTAG connector.

Do you think you could create a support ticket for me and attach the srec file and possibly your project? I could try recreating this from scratch but I cannot guarantee I will have the same results.

Takao Yamada

• I have created a support ticket with same information as below and same title.

I cannot share this binary file.
    But, I have created manually a valid SRECORD file.
    - Size 600KB
    - Use of memory addresses from 20000000 to 200100000 and 40001000 to 40058000
    - It is filled with ascii alphanum

Time to load this file:
    - UNITPPCNEXUS: 11 seconds
    - ICDPPCNEXUS: 1 second

For the BAM initialization is it similar with the MAC file available from PEMicro tools
    It contains also the setup to access to external memory with CS0 on the corresponding MCU.
    I think your Visual Studio could be patched easily to load this file to observe the performance issue.

Thanks for your support.

• Greetings,

Yes I got the support ticket. Let us continue our conversation there and not have to talk on two different channels.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement