Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
How to slow down the flash programming speed with Cyclone Pro?
Andriy Q. Oct 25, 2016 at 06:14 AM (06:14 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• The MCU I am using is Freescale/NXP MC9S08FL16CBM. The programmer is Cyclone Pro. 
    The MCU pin 5 "BKGD" on my board is connected with a 1nF capacitor to Ground. I met the problem: Cyclone Pro cannot program flash normally due to too high speed. I must unsolder the capacitor then do progaramming.
    So the question is : is there any way to slow down flashing speed through Cyclone Pro?

Comments

• What's more: I tried USB multilink. It works fine with capacity present. How to slow down Cyclone pro speed so that we don't have to unsolder capacity on Pin 5 "BKGD"?

• Sorry my typo on Comment#2. It's "capacitor" instead of "capacity".

• Greetings,

Try adding a strong pull-up on the BKGD line. A 1K ohm resistor from pin 6 (VDD) to pin 1 (BKGD) will help mitigate the capacitor. You can solder this resistor on the cyclone or ribbon cable so that you do not need to de-solder the capacitor anymore. Once that is installed, you will not need the soldering iron again.

Takao Yamada

• I tried to add pull-up 1k resistor between pin 6 and 1. Unfortunately, it does not work. Is there any other software way to config different speed? As my comment #5 said, is it possible to change something in algorithms file *.s8p? I cannot understand what does every line mean in this file.

• Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it. 
    Is there other alternative way, such as adding or removing some line in algorithms file to change the speed?

• Greetings,

No, there is nothing in software to slow down the communication speed. Putting a capacitor on BKGD is bad design and the only easy way out is to remove it from design or finding a way around the problem. A pull-up resistor is really the only good solution in your situation. If that does not work, then desoldering the capacitor is the only way forward.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement