Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Can I use Multilink Universal USB with Linux?
Andy T. Oct 6, 2016 at 01:41 PM (13:41 hours)
Staff: Gerardo R.

• I would like to use the Multilink Univeral USB - JTAG programmer with Linux, is it supported?

Comments

• Greetings,

You should be more specific on the Linux flavor and version.

Technically yes the multilink will work on most Linux flavors and versions. Just simply install our Linux drivers:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=294

The real question is what software is supported on your linux version. Almost none of our software are supported in Linux right now. However if you are using Kinetis Design studio, or Codewarrior 10.2, or some other software that natively works on Linux then you should have no problems. You need to check with the software developers to see if your version will work.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you Takao.

Linux flavor/version is not important to me, I will use whichever that will be supported for the function I am looking for.

I want to be able to program with the Multilink through a command line interface (for automation) in Linux. Will this be possible?

• Greetings,

Currently no. There is no command-line solution that we provide or that I know of from NXP that would do this.

Right now you can develop and flash program and debug via the software solutions I just mentioned previously from NXP.

Takao Yamada

• Ok, thank you Takao.

It looks like your Cyclone programmers support batch type programming. I am assuming this only works in Windows correct?

• Greetings,

I think what you mean is executing our SAP_Launch or Cyclone_launch DLLs. As you may know DLL will not work in a Linux environment. You would need .so files built in a linux environment, which we do not have.

Takao Yamada

• Hello All,

PEmicro newbie here, my former experience is with ICD/ICEs from Lauterbach and Yokogawa.

Starting a new project with ST 32F100 microprocessor, the Lauterbach box runs very well on Linux but I need an alternative.
    So, I just bought a couple of PEMicro Multilink Universal; PC environment is either Linux or Mac OS. No Windows boxes available.

So before going all-in, I wish to check the consistency of all the tools. I'm running Eclipse Neon on both Linux and Mac.
    First problem is installing the Eclipse plugin http://www.pemicro.com/eclipse/updates.

The installation wizard says:

"Cannot perform operation/Computing alternate solutions"

Then, the following options will appear:

*) "GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support Will not be installed"

*) "GNU E200 PEMicro Interface Debugging Support Will be installed"

What's wrong with the GNU ARM plugin?
    Is GNU E200 OK for ST32 family? (I don't think so)

Is there any user guide, howtos for running PEMicro on Unix-like systems? I was not able to find one.

Thanks for your attention,

Ezio (Italy)

• Hi All,

I checked the docs, this very useful guide (P&E_GDB_Server_Plugin_Configuration_User_Guide_v1_04.pdf) at Chap. 3 "P&E GDB Server Plugin for ARM Devices - Quick Start Guide Using P&E Hardware Interfaces" says:

"Use the following steps to get started setting up your debug connection in the Kinetis
    Design Studio, S32 Design Studio, or any other Eclipse-based development studio for
    P&E hardware."

What is exactly "any other Eclipse-based development studio for P&E hardware"?

Is the Eclipse plugin http://www.pemicro.com/eclipse/updates that fails to install?

Thank you for your attention,

Ezio

• Can you provide the detailed error message from Eclipse that you get when trying to install the ARM plugin? I suspect there might be a missing dependency that's preventing the plugin from being installed.

• Ciao Gerardo,

In the "Available Software" screen of Eclipse, I select "PEMicro Software".

This has two subsets: "GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support" and "GNU E200 PEMicro Interface Debugging Support"

At installation start, Eclipse says "Calculating requirements and dependencies"

Next, as the slidebar is moving, it says "Cannot perform operation. Computing alternate solutions, may take a while: x / 15"

This goes on for a while, then Eclipse switches to an "Install Remediation Page" that says:
    "GNU ARM PEMicro Interface Debugging Support" "Will not be installed"
    "GNU E200 PEMicro Interface Debugging Support" "Will be installed".

This same reported sequence happens with Eclipse Neon.2 on both Linux and Mac OS X systems.

In case you need, I have the screenshots of the whole installation process.

Ciao and thanks,

Ezio

• Hi All,

Somehow I manage to install the ARM plugin on my Eclipse.

Instead of installing both ARM and E200 plugins, I just unchecked the E200.

The ARM plugin was then installed without any problems ... that's kind of weird, but it's what happened.

Now, I have problems in the Debug configuration for ARM

if I go to this screen: Run->Debug Configuration->GDB PEMicro Interface Debugging->MyProject Debug-> Debugger->Select Device

I only see NXP devices.
    how do I import the configuration for ST ARM devices?

Ciao and thanks,

Ezio

• Hello, for contractual reasons, we currently do not have native support for other vendors in our plugin. However, you can download and launch the GUI version of our server which has support for all vendors. Inside your plugin settings, simply uncheck the "launch server locally" option to connect to the GUI server.

• Hi Gerardo,

>for contractual reasons, we currently do not have native
    >support for other vendors in our plugin.

Sorry, but I was misled, the following PEMicro page http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320151&productTab=1 says:

" P&E's GDB Server extends the GNU debugger, when paired with P&E hardware, so that it allows for remote debugging of any microcontroller target present on the user network"

And the list of supported ARM devices include ST.

So, according to the web page, there IS some kind of support for ARM/ST devices, what is the correct configuration?

>you can download and launch the GUI version of our server
    >which has support for all vendors.

Good, to which download do you refer exactly? Could you please point me to the kit?

As an alternative to Linux, we can use a Mac, the following page looks promising, it's very new:

http://www.pemicro.com/blog/index.cfm?post_id=115

Could it be the solution to my problems?
    Thank you and Ciao,

Ezio

• The GDB Server page you linked to above has a link for the "P&E GDB Server for Kinetis with Windows GUI" which has support for all vendors. However, the other link for the Eclipse plugin will not have all vendors. My suggestion is to setup a Windows VM on the Linux or OSX machine to run the GUI server. Beyond that, there's no official way for other vendors to be supported natively in the plugin.

• Thanks Gerardo,

The Win VM sounds like a solution, ugly but a possible solution I'll give a try.

How about the P&M Mac announce for GDB?

"macOS™ Support added to P&E’s Eclipse GDB Server for ARM® devices"

It mentions MacOS, Eclipse GDB and ARM devices.
    Could it replace the Windows VM GDB server? ST ARM are supported ddeices?

Ciao and thanks,

Ezio

• The macOS support simply means that you are now able to install and use our plugin on the macOS version of Eclipse. However, it still has the same limitations on devices supported. Further, we have not ported over the GUI GDB server to macOS so there's really no easier way to get this to work on your setup.

• Hi Gerardo,

>Further, we have not ported over the GUI GDB server to macOS so there's
    >really no easier way to get this to work on your setup.

Well, actually there is a osx/pegdbserver_console that is a legit Mac OS executable, as well a Linux lin/pegdbserver_console

Are they usable? I would give them a hack try ... Yesterday I worked on the Win7 version, and it's a real pain in the neck, I'm sick & tired to spend my time fighting against mismatching DLLs, viruses, antiviruses, service packs, windows updates, CPU-gobbling stray processes and a whole lot of Microsoft "features" that break all things down, mostly my patience ... my job is to write and test firmware.

Ezio

• Ezio,
    I understand your frustrations with Microsoft Windows and can empathize. There is a way to hack this together in a macOS environment, but we do not officially support this. That said, once you go down this path we can't provide any support when you start changing things we don't intend for you to.

1. Download the complete set of ARM support files here:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=450

2. Inside the plugin directory, replace the osx/gdi/P&E/supportFiles_ARM directory with the one you just downloaded.

3. Take note of the filename for the icdarmcortex and progarmcortex .so files in this diretory.

4. Find the device you're trying to program in this directory structure and open its .ddf file.

5. This file has configuration options for the keys 'icd' and 'prog'. You'll need to change their values to the filename of the .so files noted in step 3. Also, make sure you omit the '.so' here.

• Thank you Gerardo for you feedback.

In the meantime, a colleague of mine (nickname "The Scientist" ... he knows a thing or two about hacking :-) was able to run pegdb on Linux

His hack entails a few symlinks here 'n there and a little bit of tampering with udev, as well as steps 1) and 2) you mentioned above.

After that, we're happy running pegdb and Eclipse plugin on Linux Ubuntu 14.04

>That said, once you go down this path we can't provide any support when you
    >start changing things we don't intend for you to.

Fair enough, I understand that. On the other hand, we better have a running, unsupported Linux tool, rather that a useless, but supported Windows tool. As we say in Italy "It's more useful a live donkey than a dead doctor".

If someone is interested in the details, I can provide them ... but I'd rather not spread the unsupported hacks habit :-)

Ciao,

Ezio

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement