Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
NXP S32 Debugging - Failed to launch GDB Server
David E. Oct 4, 2016 at 09:51 AM (09:51 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi Support,

I recently installed S32 and have the NXP DEVKIT-MPC5748G board attached via USB.
    When I run debugger, I get the error message "Failed to launch GDB Server". I suspect there might be an incorrect setting, but so far can't find one.

Do you have some ideas of what I should check to correct this problem?

Thanks,
    David

Comments

• Greetings,

Is this your first attempt in getting a board working in S32 E200 IDE?

First, make sure you have the latest P&E plugin by going to the Help menu -> check for updates. You need at least plugin version 1.2.9 to be able to use the openSDA interface on the DEVKIT MPC578G.

Right click on your project -> Debug as -> Debug configurations. Then go to the debugger tab and make sure the correct interface is selected. For case it is most likely the openSDA interface. Make sure you have the 12v barrel connection to the board.

Go to your task manager and make sure no other pegdbserver_console.exe is showing up in your processes tab (not under applications). If you do find one, end the process.

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

Yes, this is my first attempt in getting a board running in S32 IDE.

Checking for updates results -> No updates found. Under plugins I see two entries:

P&E Core Plugin 1.1.43
      GNU E200 ..... 1.3.3

I am running power to the DEVKIT only with USB connector, the NXP quick start guide did not instruct me to connect 12 VDC.

One thing I noticed is that the error shows file as pegdbserver_console.exe, but my search for that file shows this file, pegdbserver_power_console.exe

Do I need 12 VDC connected as well as USB power?

Thanks,
      David

• Hello Takeo,

I applied 12 VDC to the barrell connector, the factory application ran using the LEDs. I then ran the debugger, after a while the new project downloaded and ran OK. (I noticed lots of packet errors while downloading)

Thanks,
          David

• Greetings,

Great! The GDB packet errors you can ignore.

Were you able to debug multiple cores and be able to set breakpoints? If so, then you have successfully debugged the DEVKIT 5748G board! YAY!

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,

I will try more debugging with multiple cores, breakpoints and examples.

Thanks,
    David

• Hi Takao,

I am working on the "Hello" example project from NXP. Now, I am getting the same error as with the first project. I don't see process pegdbserver_console.exe running already.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    David

• Hi Takao,

I discoovered that each debug configuration needs to be setup for OpenSDA.
    It's working ok.

Thanks,
    David

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement