Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
CPROGPPCZ capabilities compared to ICDPPCZ
Tomas F. Aug 29, 2016 at 05:37 AM (05:37 hours)
Staff: Mikhail A.

• Hello, 

we are using ICDPPCZ for PowerPC 8xx. In the GUI we use features:
    -Debug Shift Speed: 4
    -Delay after Reset and before communicating to target: 200ms
    -Also commands are defined in a script here.

Question is: if the command line programmer (CPROGPPCZ) can provide equivalent functionality.
    We need a tool which can run as a command line (due to automation purposes). However I understand there is no cmd line version of the debugger. Also API DLLs you provide don't support our CPUs.

Could you advise and recommend tools for us?

Regards,

Tomas Fabry
    Honeywell International

Comments

• Dear Tomas,

What are you trying to achieve with an automated command line script?

Generally, CPROGPPCZ is able to perform all automated programming applications.

When you say the API DLLs don't support your CPUs, are you referring to your computers, or to the specific MCU you are using?

Regards,
    Mikhail
    P&E

• Hello Mikhail,

We have a manual solution for programming PowerPC 8xx CPUs. Currently we use ICDPPCZ for this purpose. We need to automate this procedure so I was looking on two options:

a) use Multilink Universal FX and UNITPPCZ DLLs that will be called from higher layers (Test execution)

b) use Multilink Universal FX and CPROGPPCZ that will be called from higher layers (Test execution).

However, from development team I know in current manual solution (ICDPPCZ GUI) they use options:
    -"Debug Shift Speed" and
    -"Delay after Reset and before communicating to target"

I'm not sure if same options/features are available in suggested a) and b) solutions.

I can provide more details on actual script that is used for programming if needed.

Regards,

Tomas

• Dear Tomas,

For the options you are looking at, (b) will be able to do what you wish. CPROGPPCZ can be invoked on the command line with arguments bdm_shift n to set the desired Debug Shift Speed, and reset_delay n to set the desired Delay after Reset and before communicating to target. I believe this will give you the results you need.

UNITPPCZ may give you more control over programming operations if needed, but it currently does not support a delay after reset feature.

Regards,
    Mikhail
    P&E

• Thanks for reply.
    For further clarification, will the CPROGPPCZ be able to run with USB Multilink Universal FX?

There is a statement on the PROGPPCZ website:
    https://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=121

"The programmer talks to the processor's Background Debug Mode through the CABLEPPC BDM Interface which connects the parallel port of a PC to a 10-pin BDM connector on the target system."

So is there a Parallel Port needed in this case?

Thanks,

Tomas

• Dear Tomas,

Yes, the USB Multilink Universal FX will work for this. The Multilink only needs to be connected through a USB port.

The parallel port was used in the past as a form of connection, but that usage is now deprecated. I will let our website staff know that we need to update the description to avoid confusion.

Regards,
    Mikhail
    P&E

• Dear Tomas,

Do you have any other questions that need to be answered?

Regards,
    Mikhail
    P&E

• Hello Mikhail,

we decided to go with ICDPPCZ as it also can be invoked through cmdline and provided by a script. We may have more questions later but I consider our question resolved now.

Thanks for your great support.

Regards,

Tomas

• One more question on this ICDPPCZ: we have single license now. Is this license transferable? Development will be done on one PC and later the PC will need to be changed. Therefore this SW will need to be installed to another PC.

Thank you,

Tomas

• Dear Tomas,

The license has multiple activations, so as long as it is used by only one user at a time, it can be installed on multiple machines. If you run into activation issues, simply call our technical support line, and we should be able to increase their number.

Regards,
    Mikhail
    P&E

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement