Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Cyclone Max Error $0007
Martin P. Aug 25, 2016 at 10:07 AM (10:07 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,

I have been using a Cyclone Max without issue at my workplace for about a year and we have recently invested in a second one. However, the first one appears to now be having some issues.

Using the same additional equipment (micro, cables, etc.) and identical images, the new Cyclone is able to program the device with no problems, however the old one never manages to get past the $0007 fault.

I have also tried using the Prog tool. The new Cyclone connects, but the old one indicates that it cannot communicate with the target (again, the test was performed with the same equipment).

The USB connection to the Cyclone is fine, as I can add/remove images.

Old Cyclone: v7.85-6.2
    New Cyclone: v7.91-6.2
    Target: MPC5643L on proprietary board, connected to Cyclone via a custom adapter board (just does pin swapping) to Port B.

Please could you advise of any further routes that I could take to determine the solution.

Thanks

Comments

• Greetings,

Error $0007 indicates problems connecting to the target.

You should start by lowering the debug shift frequency, which is an option found in both PROG and the image creation utility.

Between the new and old cyclones, are you using the same ribbon cable? Often the ribbon cable is the weakest link due to its flexible bendable nature. Ribbon cables can eventually fail and needs replacing occasionally.

There are not any major changes in the MPC5643L between the 2 different firmwares to cause for any concern.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for the reply. I have tried lowering the debug shift frequency in PROG, with no difference, still won't connect. 

I have had numerous issues with ribbon cables in the past, however the ribbon cables used are identical, so that should rule them out as the cause.

• Greetings,

The next thing to try is using an oscilloscope and comparing the results between the two cyclones. First check the Reset and VDD lines, then onto the TDI and TDO and TCK lines.

Do you use the cyclones for other projects? I want to know if the old cyclone is in any good condition. If it does not even work on other projects then it may be that it is faulty and needs repair/replacement.

Takao Yamada

• The Cyclones are used to program other identical boards, but not on other projects (this is the only project we have with compatible devices). I have tried on some of the other boards, but the result is the same.

Scope test:
    Using PROG

Old Cyclone: VDD 3.44V, Reset 3.2V, two low pulses seen on Reset (target does reset) but doesn't connect.

New Cyclone: VDD 3.52V, Reset 3.2V, one low pulse on Reset and connects

Old Cyclone: Initially all three high (2.4v). After first attempt to connect, TDI goes low. When connecting, TCK shows burst between 3.92v and 1.52v, TCI burst between 0v and 5.76v, TDO burst between 2.56v and 3.92v.

New Cyclone: Initially TDI/TCK low, TDO high. When connecting, bursts of data seen on all three lines. TCK bursts between 0v and 4.72v, TDI bursts between 0v and 5.84v, TDO bursts between 0v and 6.32v.

These readings were taken quite quickly (as I am leaving work now, will reply to any further messages tomorrow) and read from scope measurement, so they may be a bit off, but there does appear to be a difference between them.

• Greetings,

The two low pulses on RESET is already a sign that it is not connecting. You should only see one and the second indicates another attempt to connect.

Is a high signal 3.3V or 5V? Because if 5V is suppose to be high, then 3.5V on VDD and 3.2V on RESET is not sufficient. Those are basically floating. Do you have VDD and RESET connected between the cyclone and the target? Are there any signals not connected on the adapter?

Takao Yamada

• I have done some additional testing this morning and the only difference I'm seeing is on the TCK pin.

Initially, the TCK on both Cyclones is floating around 2v. However, when a connection attempt is made, the pin on the working Cyclone drops to 0v and then pulses between 0v and about 4.5-5v. On the other Cyclone, the drop to 0v never happens, so the pulses are between 4.5-5v and about 2v.

Since the reset works on both Cyclones, and there's no visible difference between the signals on the other pins (obviously no data on TDO on the non-working Cyclone, but the voltages at rest are the same), I would suspect that the 2v isn't low enough for the clock to be seen as low, so if there's no clock, not a lot is going to happen.

• Greetings,

Do you have a pull-up 10K resistor on the Reset, TCK, TDI, and TDO lines which is recommended design by Freescale? If not, try adding them and see if the communication improves. It could be that even the new cyclone is barely working.

Takao Yamada

• Thanks for the recommendation, I will check and respond when I am next in the office on Tuesday.

• Reset, TDI and TDO have 10k pullups, TCK is currently connected to ground through a 68R and 100pF cap. This is probably because we have been trying to make the programming port compatible with other devices (debugger, etc.) but the hardware team are not certain if it is still needed. Would this have a significant impact on the clock signal? We will try modifying a test board later to see what happens if it is changed to be as you had suggested.

• Greetings,

A resistor and capacitor (RC circuit) on a clock is only going to cause delays and slower rise/fall times. So yes it will affect the clock. The pull-down or pull-up resistor on a clock is fine. That improves the clock's rise/fall times. So remove the capacitor and increase the resistor value to 10K so that the clock is not always zero with a 68 ohm resistor to ground.

Takao Yamada

• Hello,

The 68R/100pF combo have been replaced with your recommended pull-up 10k resistor but no difference has been seen. The first cyclone is still not dropping the TCK line to 0V when attempting to connect.

• Greetings,

With the new setup, does the new cyclone still work? I just want to make sure you still have a working solution as we move along.

One thing we have not looked into is updating the firmware on the old cyclone to match the new. Try installing our latest software and use the old cyclone. Use the utility like Cyclone image management utility and it will auto-update the firmware. Then see if that makes any difference:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=290

Once the firmwares match and you still have issues then it is clearly an internal hardware problem of the cyclone and I think you should consider possibly sending it to us for repair/replacement. If you are interested in doing this, please let me know so I can assign you an RMA ticket and instructions.

Takao Yamada

• The new cyclone does still work with the new setup, yes. I will attempt the firmware update and report back.

• Firmware does not seem to have made any difference. If there are no other test to be performed, then return it for repair sounds like a sensible option. I will need to check with managers to make sure that they are happy to do so, but in the meantime please could let me know of the instructions.

• Greetings,

You should have gotten an email with instructions and the ticket number associated with it.

Takao Yamada

• Hello, are you aware of any updates to this support request? I believe that you received the returned Cyclone over a month ago but the support request doesn't show any updates.

• Hello,
    The Cyclone that was sent back worked for a short time but now fails to program again. When it stopped working, the user reported a burnt electronics smell, possibly coming from around the previously failed port. The device still powers but all attempts to program with the port fail.

• Greetings,

Uh oh that is not good. This can be due to a short that is being made, incorrect VDD connection, or ground looping.

I want you to go to Support page -> Support requests and create a ticket and attach pictures of all of the hardware setup you are using. Including the way you are powering the cyclone, the target, the ribbon cables, etc and the order of operations. And also reference any support or RMA ticket that was used with this cyclone in the past.

Any schematics would be very important so look into attaching that as well. We need to know what voltage is being used for VDD and if there are separate grounds being used between the microcontroller and the rest of the circuitry. Lastly, use a multimeter and check that VDD and GND are not connected due to a short.

We want to resolve this problem before any kind of repairing is done as this can be a problem that may repeat itself.

Takao Yamada

• Ok, thanks, I will gather the requested data and create the ticket at some point this week when I have everything

• Greetings,

Any update on this?

Takao Yamada

• Hello, I have been away from work over the festive period since the 15th. The fix that was made when the Cyclone was returned to you has been performed again here and we are now monitoring to see if the failure happens again.

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement