Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Using the USB-ML-12 rev C within a virtual machine
Doru B. Aug 16, 2016 at 03:10 PM (15:10 hours)
Staff: Johnny N.

• Hello there,

We need to support legacy products based on Motorola HCS12x processors developed about 12 years ago and the build and debug tool is Code Warrior 5.7.0 which works only in Windows XP. Since our corporate policy is to use Windows 7 we tried to setup Windows XP virtual machines using VMware Workstation 12 Player (we tried other VMs but this seems the most suitable). To connect to the target we' re using the USB-ML-12 rev C (driver ver 6.2.0.0 07/15/2004) and they "almost" work with the virtual machine, there are a lots and lots of communication errors as we're starting a debug session. The imense number of communication errors makes it impossible to do any work.

Would you be able to suggest a way to make the USB-ML-12 rev C work within a virtual machine?

Thanks a lot,
    Doru

Comments

• Greetings Doru,

CodeWarrior Development Studio for HCS12(X) Microcontrollers (Classic IDE) v5.2 (and IDE 5.9.0) is fully compatible with Windows 7. Are you able to update to this newer IDE?

Regards,
      Johnny
      PEmicro

• Thanks Johnny, we were trying to use the version we had (IDE 5.7.0) without having to upgrade. If there are no other options maybe that's what we will have to do.

• Doru,

You can try our Codewarrior patch but it was only tested on Codewarrior for HCS12 v5.1/v5.2.

1. Download the "Patch for (S)12(X) 3rd Party Software" and follow the directions in the readme to apply the patch.
    http://www.pemicro.com/faqs/faq_view.cfm?id=211

2. Install PE Drivers Version 12 in your Windows 7 host PC and in your Windows XP virtual machine.
    https://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=53

3. Restart your PC

4. You have to plug the USB Multilink into your USB port. Then load the USB drivers and wait for the device to enumerate in the host. The blue LED turns on. You should see Jungo->WinDriver and Jungo->USB Multilink 2.0 in device manager.

5. You need to click USB->Attach.. in the VM to attach the USB device. The blue LED may turn off. Then wait a few seconds and power cycle the USB device by unplugging and then replugging it. This will cause it to re-enumerate with the USB device attached to the VM. You should see Jungo->WinDriver and Jungo->USB Multilink 2.0 in the device manager of the VM.

6. Sometimes you may need to attach the device several times before the VM detects the device.

Regards,
    Johnny
    PEmicro

• Hi Doru,

Any updates?

-Johnny

• Hi Johnny,

Did not have time to try that yet, I'll post an update as soon as I try it.

Thanks a lot,
    Doru

• Hi Johnny,

The CodeWarrior patch and the PE Drivers Version 12 do not work with CodeWarrior 4.5 that we use and I assume it is because of CodeWarrior who can see the USB Multilink but then when it tries to connect to the target it says "Communication failed!" (Cable is not connected or has no power!).

Meanwhile I got an evaluation license for CodeWarrior 5.9 that can work in Windows 7 and it almost works, that is, I can download the firmware into the target and tell the Real-Time Debugger to stop at a certain function e.g. main() but I cannot get it to stop on any breakpoint.

In the P&E HC(S)12 Connection Manager v5.84.00.00 I can see that it finds the USB Multilink USB-ML-12 Rev C (PE5516307).

I also updated the firmware in the USB-ML-12 using the hcs08_hcs12_cfv1_firmware_updater.zip package but it did not make any difference.

Do you have any idea of what could cause such a behavior?

Thanks a lot,
    Doru

• Hi Doru,

Can I remote into your PC with Team Viewer?

-Johnny
      P&E

• I don't think it is possible, it is against corporate policy.

Doru

• Hi Doru,

I just want to double check that you installed the patch and everything else correctly. If you are able to get permission, let me know.

Regards,
      Johnny
      P&E Engineering Support

• I assume the issue is related to settings related to the chip we use. The CodeWarrior 5.9 did not come with support for the MC9S12XDP512 chip we're using, so in order to get it to recognize the chip I copied the mc9s12xdp512.fcs, Mcu03f0.fpp, mcu03f0.reg files and the section pertaining to the [MCUID03FO] from the hc12.ini file that were used by version 4.5 of CodeWarrior.

If I halt the CPU, I can step through assembly lines but cannot get it to stop on a breakpoint.

Doru

• Hi Doru,

The full version of CodeWarrior for HCS12(X) Microcontrollers (Classic IDE) v5.2 should come with support for the MC9S12XDP512. I don't know why NXP doesn't include it with the evaluation. What you're attempting to do is beyond the scope of the support that we can provide. Please contact NXP and ask them if they can provide you with a evaluation license that includes support for the MC9S12XDP family.

Regards,
      Johnny
      P&E Engineering Support

• Thanks a lot Johnny, you've been really helpful even if what I tried did not work. We're in the process of buying the latest version of CodeWarrior for HCS12(X) so I hope that will solve our problems.

• Hi Johnny,

I finally found a way to get CWS12v5.2 to work with the USB Multilink USB-ML-12 Rev C. The key was to follow the instructions from the following NXP community thread: https://community.nxp.com/thread/430483.

Thanks again for all your help,
    Doru

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement