Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
PROGPPCNEXUS Censorship Key Range
David P. Jul 7, 2016 at 05:57 PM (17:57 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,

I've come across an interesting issue, it seems that I cannot connect to a device censored with low value serial boot word (censor password).

As an example, I have programmed my device with a serial boot word of 0x0000000000000001 and then attempted to connect to it using this word with eclipse, progppcnexus, and cprogppcnexus. All three fail to connect.

Just to be sure I have also verified that the device has the correct serial boot word. Nothing is amiss on my device's flash memory.

Is there any reason that small value serial boot words are not supported? Is there a way to work around this? We're attempting to use this for a customer so we really need to know the limits and I'd rather not try all 2^64 passwords to see which ones work :).

Cheers,

Comments

• Greetings,

Could you please specify which chip you are working on?

The password you selected is not a legitimate password. You must have at least one '1' and one '0' in each half-word (16-bits) of the 64-bit password.

Also, what did you program into the censorship control words? Did you leave it blank? When trying to censor your chip, you need to both setup a password and configure the censorship control words (two words) within the shadow block to be able to successfully be able to then uncensor the chip for future debugging or flash programming. By default, their values are 0x55AA55AA and 0x55AA55AA. If you only set up a password, then you have left the control to be blank and permanently secured the chip. There is nothing you can do to recover it.

If this is all new information to you, then that means NXP/Freescale is not educating their customers enough about this. Please contact NXP to get the full details of what you need to do to censor your chip.

Takao Yamada

• Hello Takao,

I'm working on the MPC5674F chip. I don't beleive they have any documentation on what a valid password is, so I had assumed that any password is valid. This is very good to know, thank you. I'll have to contact NXP to see if there are any more details they've decided to leave out.

Thank you,

David

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement