Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Using Serialize with S12XE - Serial Number Location
Steven P. May 24, 2016 at 10:01 AM (10:01 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I am working with the NXP 9S12XE processor and was wondering if the Serialize utility starting address required a logical or physical address? If I want the serial at the beginning of the logical memory at $4000, should the starting address be $4000 or $7F4000?

Also, I am assuming that the serial number is stored in big-endian order, but wanted to confirm.

So if I have 7 constants in the serial number and 2 serial number bytes beginning at $4000, the actual serial number is stored at $4007 & $4008?

Comments

• Greetings,

You will have to set the starting address to be physical. So you are right in your thinking to make that conversion. Wonderful question and I am glad you asked it on our forums.

Yes you are also correct in your assumption that the serial is stored by default big-endian but you can change it to little endian by editing the S19 file that is generated by serialize. All you do is open the S19 in a text editor and put the letter "L" at the very end of the s-record line.

I am not completely understanding your last question. The entire serial number is programmed at whatever base address you have selected. So if you selected $4000 as your base and your serial number is 9 bytes long, then it will go from $4000-$4008.

Takao Yamada

• Thank you for your response! That is very helpful.

As for the last question, I suppose it was somewhat more for my own clarification that if I set the start address to $4000 and have a 9-byte serial (made up of 7 constants and then 2 auto incremented serial bytes), that the serial will be from $4000-$4008 (with the 2 auto incremented bytes being in locations $4007 & $4008).

• Greetings,

It depends on how you setup the serial numbers. In the serialize utility you can specify which bytes will have upper and lower bounds. Obviously the static bytes you want the upper and lower bounds to be the same.

You can test how the counting will work in the utility by using the "Count Sequence" up and down arrows to see what happens.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement