Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Using PKGCFZ_PRO_USB debugger and software for V1 Coldfire
Ryan M. May 24, 2016 at 08:42 AM (08:42 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hi,
    Years ago we did a few Coldfire projects using a discrete V2 processor. I'm now working on a project with an FPGA core V1 processor. Can I use my compiler and debugger with this new arrangement?

Thanks,
    Ryan

Comments

• Greetings,

Unfortunately ColdFire V1 is different than the V2 variant. The ColdFire V1 uses 6-pin BDM as the protocol compared to the 26-pin JTAG/BDM of ColdFire V2/3/4. This means the P&E hardware interface you are using will most likely not work unless you have the USB Multilink Universal.

Also the software you have will not support the V1 variant. The flash programming (PROG) and debugging (ICD) will not work, but the assembler will work (CASMCFZ) as it is the same in both types of ColdFire. For a compiler, you are better off using GCC which you can get from a simply search online.

For you to support the V1 core you may need new hardware and most definitely new software. If you are still interested in using our products, I can point you to the correct products for your project.

Takao Yamada

• Hi,
    Yes, I see that now. I was wondering if it was a subset. The BDM module I have from you guys is the USB ColdFire Multilink. I'm sure we bought it around 2010 and I still have an installation code for the PKGCFZ_PRO_USB although I couldn't find the laptop it was installed on nor the installation disk. If I buy a new BDM module (and I can find my IDE dev software) can I develop that way? I've been trying to convince management to get the IP Core from IPExtreme and due to cost we are forced into the V1, but I didn't realize I'd need all new dev software.

Looking at some of the things in your product list that support the V1, I see target frequency of 50MHz popping up. We'd like to run our core faster than that. Maybe 100MHz or 125MHz if it'll go that fast. Please let me know what I would need to replace my dev hardware and software.

Thanks again,
    Ryan

• Greetings,

The USB ColdFire Multilink will not work with CFV1. So you would need to buy a new hardware like USB Multilink Universal (which supports both V2 and V1):
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320137

Again, PKGCFZ will not support the V1. So you would need to get the PROGCFV1 and ICDCFV1 software.

PROGCFV1:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320111

ICDCFV1:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320110

Takao Yamada

• OK, makes sense.  What about the target speed limitation.  Am I reading that right that it is limited to 50MHz for the USB Multilink Universal?  If so, which BDM modules support higher target frequencies?

Thanks,
    Ryan

• Greetings,

I spoke with the hardware engineers and found that right now 100Mhz is not supported in any of our hardware but very soon (within the next 2 weeks) we will include support for 100MHz BDM into our multilink and cyclone hardwares! So that is perfect timing for you.

You can purchase the hardware now if you wish and when the changes are made in firmware you can download the new firmware from our website and update your multilink. No need to wait the 2 weeks for the feature to be natively included.

Takao Yamada

• So, if I were to purchase this:
    PKGCFV1_USB_UNIVERSAL
    would I get everything I need? C/C++ compiler/debugger/BDM module?

• Greetings,

You would not get a compiler. Our PKG software includes an assembler (CASMCFZ). Only the "PRO" versions have a compiler and we do not have a PRO version of PKG for the ColdFire V1. The GCC compiler is readily available online. You can just specify the GCC compiler within WINIDE environmental settings if you wish to continue to use WINIDE.

Takao Yamada

• OK, so with the WINIDE I have from the V2 development software, I can access the V1 gcc compile that I can get online.  Can I make a PROM image with that or do I need the assembler.  I know I need the debugger - the V1 debugger can be integrated into the WINIDE like it was with the V2 dev stuff?  This is all confusing to me.  Do I have to spend $1000.00 or more to get what I need?

• Greetings,

I do not know what at a PROM image is. This is what I am proposing:

Just purchase the PROG and ICD for ColdFire V1. Borrow the WINIDE from V2 development and have that point to the GCC by configuring the environmental settings in WINIDE when you wish to compile. Unless you are programming in assembly language, you do not need an assembler.

When you used to develop for V2, you would compile then click on DEBUGGER (EXE1) button to debug in ICDCFZ, and FLASH PROGRAMMER (EXE2) button to flash program in PROGCFZ.

You can change those to point to your new ICDCFV1 and PROGCFV1. You can change what software to point to also within the environmental settings in WINIDE. Just visit the environmental settings and all of this will make more sense to you.

Just buy PROGCFV1, ICDCFV1, and the hardware interface of your choosing which I suggest the USB Multilink universal.

Takao Yamada

• OK, I think I'm getting it.  Thanks for your patience!  

I don't need the programmer. I just need to be able to make a Hex file that I can load program into an external device. I'm using an IP-core processor (inside an FPGA) and the code will reside in a separate device.

So I need the ICDCFV1 debugger and the USB-ML-UNIVERSAL BDM, correct?

If I can't find my old CD can you give me a download link? I have the license code.

• Greetings,

Then you just need the ICDCFV1 and the USB-ML-Universal. BDM means background debug mode and you are confusing me by including it in your sentences. Just call it a hardware interface.

It is normally the customer's responsibility to hold onto the software when we send the CD or download link. You can request for the link by creating a support request ticket in our support page but we do not guarantee we have the same version you purchased. And your old license will not work with new versions of software.

Takao Yamada

• Sorry - I was using it as Background Debug Module.  No prob - looks like we're on the same page.  I realize the old license won't work with the new software but I thought I might need it to get the old software/IDE working again.  I keep looking for the CD, but I'll open a tech request if I can't find it.

Thanks again for your help.

Ryan

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement