Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Please, help to connect USB-ML-MON08
Aleksey D. May 17, 2016 at 03:23 PM (15:23 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello!
    Please, help to direct connect HC908JB16 to USB-ML-MON08 to flash enad debug
    Where to find pinout for this chip?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Greetings,

First you should download our PROG08SZ software:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=83

Then when you open the software select the hardware type to class 7 MON08 multilink.

Make sure in "Port" you see your multilink. Select the correct device type for your chip (JB16). Once you do that, the pinouts will show up on the right.

Takao Yamada

• Aha, thanks, found it.
    Once i loaded firmware, i want to set breakpoint and debug USB communication of JB16<->PC. I connecting PTE3 and PTE4 to external USB socket.
    Can i plug this socket directly to PC USB port or i can damage MCU?
    Cause USB port from PC will have own 5V+GND power.

What correct sequence to run firmware and debug using PC USB port + USB-ML mon08 miltilink board?

Thanks!

• Greetings,

I am not understanding your question. Do you have a board that has a USB port? Or are you going to be using the MON08 multilink?

Download the following to be able to debug your code that you have programmed onto your chip. The software within this PKG08SZ to debug is called ICD08SZ:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=286

I do not understand what this "socket" you are talking about.

What you should be doing is use PROG08Sz to flash program your S19 or ELF file, then switch over to ICD08SZ and load the mapfile to see your assembly code. Then you can set breakpoints within your code.

Takao Yamada

• I have a SOIC20 board with USB socket and HC908JB16 installed.
    USB socket connected to PTE3 and PTE4 pins.

also board connected to USB-ML-MON08.
    Fimrware loaded into HC908JB16 working with PC USB via libusb.

i want to debug USB communication between PC and HC908JB using USB-ML-MON08 interface.

So i want to connect to HC908 with USB-ML-MON08 interface into monitor mode, then set needed breakpoints and then plug USB cable from PC to board USB connector and have a break on setted breakpoints.

• Greetings,

Then use the ICD08Sz software to do your debugging. You will have to check the schematic of the board and see if the power from the USB port is power up the chip. If so, you can change the settings in PROG or ICD to not provide the 5V to the chip. The USB port can do that as an external power source.

Takao Yamada

• Ok, so i' powering  board from USB port, then enter monitor mode and set breakpoint, how to switch to normal PC USB mode operation to let PC recognize my device and start to exhange URB packets? If i replug cable then i will lost my breakpoints. What sequence to switch between monitor mode and normal USB mode without unplugging USB cable? can i do it by some script?

• Greetings,

I am confused. Do you have a multilink or does the board have a multilink design embedded? The multilink I am talking about has a USB connection, and a 16-pin connector that connects to the board. But some boards do have a USB connector that has a multilink embedded and you can use this to power the board and load your firmware. Please tell me which you are trying to use: The external debugger (USB-ML-MON08) or the embedded design?

If you are using an embedded design, I believe you cannot switch between monitor mode and normal USB. If this is the case, you may want to buy the USB ML MON08 hardware so that you can have both the multilink in monitor mode and the USB for USB data transfers.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement