Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Getting the Image Creation Utility
Jay M. Apr 19, 2016 at 02:13 PM (14:13 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I am using Code Warrior to create the image for a Freescale processor supported by the programming unit. CW is creating a Motorola S19 file. I assume I need to use the Image Creation Utility to convert the S19 file into an SAP file to load into the programming/flashing unit. Where can I find a copy of the Image Creation Program. It was not installed with the software for the programming unit and I don't see it shown for download via the web.

Comments

• Greetings,

I think you have some confusion. The image creation utility is a utility that works with our Cyclone units. If you do not have this hardware, then there is no use getting this utility. This utility does indeed take your S19 file and generates a SAP image. This image then gets loaded into the cyclone so that you can take it to your production line to program the chips. Most software and utilities are free with the purchase of the cyclone.

However, if you are using our multilink units then SAP images cannot be loaded into multilinks. You must use a software like Codewarrior or you can get our own flash programming software called PROG. These PROG software we sell can be used to program your S19 file without the use of Codewarrior.

Let me know which hardware you are using so I can point you in the right direction.

Takao Yamada

• We are using the USB Multilink Universal, Rev A. Part USB-ML-UNIVERAL).

We are using this for a Freescale HCS08 and HCS12X.

I may have been confused since our electronic manufacture is in fact flashing our production units using a Cyclone Pro and uses a SAP file.

So what format is used to flash the USB-ML-UNIVERAL? Our Code Warrior is creating S19 files of our software currently. Can I use the S19 files directly? Do I need to set some setting in Code Warrior to generate some other format that the device will use? Is there a utility I need to convert my S19 file into a format compatible with the USB-ML-UNIVERAL?

Thanks for explaining this.

• Greetings,

Note, that we have different PROG software for different chip architectures. You would need to get the PROG for HCS08 and PROG for HCS12 softwares.

For HCS08 architecture, the S19 file is exactly what you need to use with our PROG software to program your chip with your multilink universal.

PROGHCS08:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=27

For HCS12 architecture, we handle this differently. The S19 file is in logical format and we handle our tools using physical format. If your compiler generates a GLO file, then this is the file you need. Otherwise, you can use our LOG2PHY utility to convert your S19 file into PHY file. The utility is free. NOTE: Your compiler may generate a PHY file already, but it is in the wrong format and it will not work. Please use our utility to generate the PHY file.

PROG12Z:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=49

LOG2PHY download:
    http://www.pemicro.com/downloads/download_file.cfm?download_id=15

Takao Yamada

• Thank you Takao. That clears things up. CodeWarrior does in fact create a GLO file. So we can use that or use the LOG2PHY program to convert the CW S19 file to PHY format. 

What is the PROG12Z program that you also provided a link to? Why would we potentially want to use this? What function does it serve?

• Greetings,

You indicated you use the multilink for the HCS08 and HCS12X chips. So you need the PROG12Z for the HCS12X chips, while the PROGHCS08 software is for HCS08 chips.

Takao Yamada

• Is the PROG12Z the software that came with the Multilink to flash the GLO or SAP file to the 16 bit processor or is this something else. I know download software is installed with the drivers when the Multilink CD is installed.

• Greetings,

The Multilink CD is only there for documentation and to allow you to change the firmware inside the multilink for manual firmware updates. But none of the PROG software come for free. Unless you bought our packaged hardware+Software deals you will need to purchase both the PROG12Z and PROGHCS08 software.

Please ignore SAP files, as this is for cyclones only and you do not have any cyclones. Since you have a multilink, you will be using S19 files for PROGHCS08 and GLO files for PROG12Z. In both software, your multilink will work. The PROG software comes with everything else you need to be able to flash program your device. Please let me know if I am confusing you or misleading you.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement