Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
What is the difference between ICDPPCNEXUS Debugger 64K starter Edition and full version?
. Mar 15, 2016 at 06:45 PM (18:45 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• I have the ICDPPCNEXUS Debugger 64K Starter Edition.
    It won't let me set breakpoints. If I break at 0x5xxxx, I can't single step.
    It's really not much use like this.

What is the difference between Starter and Full version?
    Maybe the "full" version works when this one doesn't.

I can't find the answer anywhere on the web site, support or forum.

Comments

• Greetings,

The difference between starter and full is that starter is limited to 64K of code. Another restriction is that you must erase before flash programming. This is to prevent people from bypassing the 64K limit by programming multiple times consecutively.

Did you flash program the chip before you run/step/breakpoint? Are you able to see source code, or are you only seeing disassembly? To flash program make sure to read the help file where you will learn how to use HLOAD to load your ELF file.

Takao Yamada

• Flash was erased before programming.
      Flash was attempted to be written with an S19 file. programming failed.
      (probably because the file was larger than 64Kbytes).

The answer to the question appears to be:
      - the start kit (demo software) is limited in that it will not flash an image larger than 64Kbytes.

My problem was that the flash was already programmed and I wanted to single step with the ICD version of the starter kit and single stepping failed.
      Either I will have trouble with the $600 ICD (full) software on debugging, or there is yet another limitation of the starter kit that somehow single stepping is broken or disabled or ... ?

I will test with the full version this morning.
      Please provide info someone on the web site to describe the differences between starter and full version of ICD/PROG. Thanks!

• Greetings,

Note, that S19 is just the binary. There are no debugging information in S19 files, so you will not be able to see any of your source code. Look into getting the ELF file, or if you have a MAP file you can load it as well.

If you attempted to flash program and your chip is erased, then there is nothing on your flash. So this may be the reason why you are having issues stepping and breakpointing. The programming has to be successful for you to be able to step into any code on your flash.

No, we do not disable any stepping or breakpointing on the starter edition.

Takao Yamada

• The MPC5534 CPU did not have the flash erased, and worked as expected running the code in the CPU. 

All I wanted to see was assembly language, so ELF is not required in my application.

The erase worked with the starter code, but the program failed because the starter code was limited to 64K. the full version flashed correctly.

So, the single stepping failure is not due to starter version, as the single stepping failure exists in the full version as well. I will investigate to insure that that I'm not getting hit by a watchdog.

Thanks for your reply.

• Greetings,

Watchdog was going to be my next guess as well. In our flash programming, we temporarily disable the watchdog to be able to flash program. But if your code does not disable it then you will be hit with reset every so often. Scoping the RESET line while running your code will easily tell you.

Are you running one of our reset scripts (.mac files)? Go to Configuration menu -> Automated script options and see if you have enabled the ability to run a script file. Our scripts will run immediately after reset and we disable the watchdog in the script. This can help you get past the watchdog problem. We also initialize RAM so that you are not hit with bus errors.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,

Any update on this? Were you able to set breakpoints and check watchdog?

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement