Cart New Account Login

HomeAbout usProductsSupportForumsBlogCustomer Service

search inside this forum
Flash ELF file onto MPC56xx device
Tu T. Mar 8, 2016 at 03:36 PM (15:36 hours)
Staff: Takao Y.

• Hello,
    I have USB Multilink Universal debugger and I'm trying to use to flash an ELF file I have onto Freescale MPC56xx device. I'm not sure what I need to do to achieve my goal. Do I use PROGPPCNEXUS Flash Programmer or PROGACMP Flash Programmer?

Thank you

Comments

• Greetings,

You need PROG PPCNEXUS, because MPC56xx is a PPC NEXUS device. It is NOT a ACMP device. Where did you find information about PROGACMP? I want to make sure we are clear on our website or product fliers that customers know which software and hardware to purchase.

Please check this page and you will find that it supports MPC56xx devices:
    http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_viewDetails.cfm?product_id=15320089

Maybe you should try downloading the 64K demo software on this page to get familiar with the software, but you will most likely run into the issue of not being able to program the ELF file because of the 64K limitation on the free software. If you purchase the full version of the software, then you will not see this limitation.

Takao Yamada

• Hi Takao,
      It seems there was a mix up for the software when I got the quote. Originally the PROGPPCNEXUS software was recommended for me however when the quote came, it was the PROGACMP instead. I didn't realize the difference until now. I'm trying to see if I can switch out the license for the right software.

• Greetings,

We can definitely do an exchange as long as you have not installed and registered the software. Whether you did or not, please go to Support page -> Support requests and create a ticket so you do not disclose any private information here on the public forums.

Takao Yamada

• Hello,
    I got the correct debugger software now (PROGPPCNEXUS ver 5.74.00.00). However, I'm having trouble connecting to my target processor (Freescale MPC5607B). I was able to connect to the processor once and got to the stage of selecting the PCP file. I didn't get a chance to select PCP file since I needed to confirm the version of my Freescale device. But when I tried again to connect (after having the version confirmed), I kept getting the error of "Can't communicate with the target processor!..." I made sure that both LEDs (blue & yellow) are lit and I tried to cycle through the debugger shift speed but no result. I also tried uninstall the driver of the Multilink USB device and reinstalling it but it still doesn't let me connect. Do you have any suggestions?

• Greetings,

Whenever you see that you cannot communicate to the target processor, I advise to close the software and power cycle your board and the multilink. Then you will have better results.

Next thing you should check is if your board has some kind of system bus chip or external watchdog. Usually communication gets lost because the watchdog has caused the chip to reset. You may need to disable them for you to be able to flash program the chip.

Takao Yamada

• Greetings,
    I was able to successfully upload my .elf file onto the board. Is there a "run" command in the progppcnexus to run through the code? Or do I need to install another application in order to execute the program on the board?

• Greetings,

Within PROG software the best way to "run" your program is to quit out of PROG and power cycle your board. You could use the "reset" command but that will reset the chip (not power cycle) and re-enter debug mode. Your code will not run.

If you are using CPROG software, you can call "reset" and "go" command. What this does is resets the chip, reconnects in debug mode, stops at the first line of code, and then runs. This means the code execution is still in debug mode. If you have peripherals or code that only runs in "run" mode, then it may not execute. In this case, quitting out of CPROG and power cycling your board is your best option.

Takao Yamada

Add comment

Want to comment? Please login or create a new PEMicro account.

© 2017 P&E Microcomputer Systems Inc.
Website Terms of Use and Sales Agreement